Skip to main content

Oregon Man Discovers 'Beast Of A Mouse' In Subway Sandwich (Photo)


A Subway customer in Lincoln City, Oregon, received an unpleasant surprise in his sandwich, KGW TV reports.

Matt Jones said he and his friend, Jay Armstead, went to get sandwiches at a Subway restaurant located on US Highway 101 on Oct. 6 just before 2 p.m., KGW reports. When they arrived, Jones ordered a chicken teriyaki sandwich while Armstead opted for a spicy Italian sub. Both of them asked for spinach on their sandwiches.

When the Subway employee had finished making Jones's sandwich, she reportedly scooped the last of the spinach from the bin to put on Armstead's Italian sub.

That's when Jones noticed the dead rodent in his friend's sandwich.

“I got my drink, turned around and they were in shock like something happened,” Jones told KGW. “There was a mouse in there. It was gross.”

The restaurant alerted the county health department immediately, and an inspector was sent to examine the dead rodent and search the restaurant for droppings or other signs of contamination.

“The investigation determined that the rodent problem did not come from inside the facility," said Cheryl Connell, director of Lincoln County Health and Human Services.

"It was probably in a bag of the bagged spinach product, not from the facility itself,” Connell added. “Everything was sanitized and cleaned properly afterwards.”  

Subway has issued a statement promising that an "investigation was launched" into the incident and that "all of the products in the sandwich unit were disposed of and a thorough cleaning took place, in which the Health Department gave the restaurant a clean bill of health."

Image placeholder title

Jones and his friend both received full refunds on their sandwiches.

Jones also took a photo of the Italian sub with the dead rodent inside, which he posted on Facebook.

"Look at this beast of a mouse in the spinach at Subway today! Good thing we didn't bite into it! AMAZING! WTF!! The manager was in shock!" Jones wrote in the post.

The county health department assured Subway customers that they were unlikely to get sick from food purchased earlier in the week that may have come into contact with the rodent.

“They [health inspectors] consulted with physicians and we followed their advice that, although it is not very appetizing, the risk of someone becoming sick due to eating lettuce with those particular circumstances were very low,” Connell told KGW.

This was not the first time a customer discovered something strange in a Subway sandwich.

 In 2013, a 3-year-old girl in Ontario, Canada, had to be taken to the emergency room after swallowing several pieces of glass allegedly mixed in with the lettuce on her six-inch turkey sandwich from Subway, The Huffington Post reported at the time.

Sources: KGW TV, The Huffington Post

Photo Credit: Matt Jones/Facebook/KGW, Mike Mozart/Flickr


Popular Video