In this Commentary, I have two guests: Ronnie Lee, who founded the Band of Mercy in 1972 and the Animal Liberation Front in 1976, and Dr. Roger Yates, who teaches sociology at University College, Dublin and at the University of Wales at Bangor.
As I am sure you are aware, I am opposed to all violence and I do not support militant direct action. This is the starting point for my discussion with Ronnie and Roger but we go on to talk about a variety of topics. And we are all agreed about the importance of creative, nonviolent vegan education.
I hope that you enjoy the Commentary.
And by the way:
Go vegan. It’s better for your health (animal foods cause physical harm); it’s better for the environment (animal agriculture is an ecological disaster); and, most importantly, it’s the morally right thing to do.
Gary L. Francione
© 2010 Gary L. Francione
- Commentary: Discussion with Professor Gary Steiner
- Commentary: A Discussion of Abolitionist Principles
- Commentary: The Virtual Billboard Campaign: THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it.
- Commentary: Aspects of the Vegetarian/Vegan Debate
- Follow-Up to “Pets” Commentary: Non-Vegan Cats