Now that the unfortunate email business is over with, the matter "is now resolved" and we'd appreciate it if everyone just moves on.
That sums up the Hillary Clinton campaign's reaction to the July 5 announcement that the FBI won't seek charges against the presumptive Democratic nominee for using a private, unsecured email server while she was Secretary of State.
"We are pleased that the career officials handling this case have determined that no further action by the Department is appropriate," Clinton spokesman Brian Fallon said in a statement, according to USA Today. "As the Secretary has long said, it was a mistake to use her personal email and she would not do it again. We are glad that this matter is now resolved."
The controversy over Clinton's use of a personal email server has dogged her campaign for more than 15 months since it was revealed in March 2015 that she used a private, unsecured server in the basement of her Chappaqua, New York, home instead of using the Department of State's official email system.
Clinton denied any wrongdoing in the case, saying she wasn't aware that Department of State regulations required her to use the agency's secure email system. She also pointed to earlier secretaries of state, saying some of them had used third-party email addresses for some of their official correspondence.
But critics of the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, including Republicans and the progressive, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders-supporting faction of Democrats, blasted Clinton for endangering classified documents and state secrets by conducting all of her correspondence through her home system. They seized on reports that alleged foreign hackers had gained access to the server, as well as a sentence Clinton herself wrote to her aides, in which she said she did not "want any risk of the personal being accessible," Politico reported.
While FBI Director James Comey said his bureau would not recommend charges against the Democrat, he chided Clinton and her staffers, saying they "were extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information."
Comey said 110 emails in 52 email chains were classified at the time they were sent, including information marked "top secret," USA Today reports.
"None of these emails should have been on any kind of unclassified system," Comey said.
The FBI director also acknowledged that foreign governments may have been snooping on Clinton's unsecured server, telling reporters "it is possible that hostile actors gained access to Secretary Clinton’s personal email account."
In response to Comey's announcement, presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump tweeted that the decision was "very, very unfair."
"The system is rigged," Trump wrote.
Despite the lack of formal charges, even traditional Clinton allies fretted over Comey's harsh rebuke of the candidate and blamed Clinton for the way she handled the inquiry.
"The blame for the scandal — or scandalette — remains with Clinton and her team," Mother Jones' David Corn wrote. "It was a dumb move for her to use private email servers — especially when she and her aides could have assumed that Clinton, as a potential presidential candidate, would face greater scrutiny. And when her attorneys destroyed 30,000 or so emails they deemed personal before turning over the rest to the State Department, they guaranteed this matter could never be fully settled, because her critics could always charge that incriminating material had been erased to protect her."