A 10-year-old boy was rushed to the hospital to have his stomach pumped after bullies made him eat lead from a pencil.
The child, Liu Xinze, came home from school on Sept. 23, 2016, and began vomiting a black substance, according to The Daily Mail.
His family was at first confused as to what could have made his vomit such a color.
"There were plenty of black substances in his vomit," his sister said. "I wondered if he had eaten Oreo biscuits."
However, upon closer inspection, they noticed the "black substances" were actually the tips of pencils.
"We saw graphite in his vomit," his sister continued. "It's still hard."
Liu was rushed to Daqing Oilfield General Hospital to have his stomach pumped. He had consumed so much graphite that his stomach acid turned black.
When his parents asked Liu why he ate pencils, he was at first reluctant to admit that he was bullied, instead saying that he ate the graphite tips because he was hungry.
He eventually admitted that two girls at his school threatened to beat him up unless he ate the pencils.
Liu did not suffer lead poisoning as modern pencils contain graphite, not lead. Although graphite is not considered a poisonous substance, eating too much of it can lead to medical complications.
Liu's parents reported the incident to the police. However, as American Web Media notes, police rarely intervene in cases of bullying.
The town of Shawano, Wisconsin has recently approved a new ordinance that permits authorities to act in cases where children physically assault other children or "meticulously using social media or saying things that are vulgar in an attempt to hurt," according to police chief Mark Kohl.
Parents of the minors accused of bullying will be forced to pay a $366 fine for the first offense and an additional $681 for each repeated incident. The fine is meant to be an incentive for parents to more thoroughly discipline their children and prevent them from bullying in the first place.