A severe allergic reaction to an eyebrow thickening procedure has left a teen with scabbed, balding eyebrows and possibly permanent scars, reports the Mirror.
A few weeks ago, Polly Smith, a 19-year-old dance student and sales assistant from Buckinghamshire, England, paid $54 at a local beauty salon for a procedure called an HD Brow treatment.
According to the product's website, HD Brows creates “perfectly well-groomed, high definition eyebrows.”
“HD Brows stylists can transform a face to such an extent that the effect has been likened to a mini facelift,” the website says.
The stylists certainly did transform Smith’s face beyond anything she had imagined.
"It was horrible and so painful and I looked like I had been punched in the face," she told the Mirror.
Smith was initially pleased with her dyed eyebrows, until they turned “red and bumpy” the next day and steadily worsened.
Eventually, she could barely open her eyes because her eyelids were so swollen.
"The doctor was really shocked and said that by then my eyebrows were infected and had gone yellow and scabby," said the teen.
She had a bad allergic reaction to the eyebrow tinting dye and had to take a mix of antibiotics, steroids and antihistamines — 15 pills each day — to clear up the infection. She also had to take time off work.
“I had to hide away from everyone,” she said. “It totally scabbed up and pulled lots of hairs out.”
The HD Brows stylists, who refunded Smith the cost of her treatment as well as the cost of her medications, affirmed that they had given Smith an allergy patch test for the hair dye beforehand, and that she did not have a reaction.
"I had the treatment to get nice pretty eyebrows and now they are patchier than ever,” said Smith, whose eyebrow hair has started falling out. “I feel so disappointed.”
The teenager hopes her story will be a lesson to others.
"Doctors have said I could be permanently scarred,” she said. “Being a performer if my face is disfigured, it is going to impact me at auditions. You should think twice about doing something which could scar your face. I don't think it is worth the risk."