Teenager Lucky To Be Alive After He Blew His Finger Off In Firework Prank Gone Wrong

Publish date:
Social count:

A British teen who lit an illegal firework had the end of his fingers blown off while reportedly showing off for a girl.

Dylan Cosgrove, 15, blew off his fingertips after he decided to light up an illegal firework in his bedroom just for laughs.

According to Metro, he was showing his girlfriend the fireworks in Washington, Tyne and Wear, England, but the fuse wouldn’t go out.

That’s when Cosgrove ran to the corner of the room and placed his hand over it in an attempt to contain the explosion as it went off. The blast burned the tops of his fingers and shattered bones in several places in his right hand.

“I was in complete shock,” the schoolboy said. “It took half my finger off and broke seven bones in my hand.”

Cosgrove’s father Michael Stephenson, 41, was downstairs at the time of the incident.

“There was an almighty bang,” he said, according to the Daily Mirror. “At first I thought one of the kids had fallen, or the fish tank upstairs had been knocked over.”

“Dylan came running down the stairs screaming and he just kept saying he was sorry, over and over again,” Stephenson added. “He was white as sheet and I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.”

He dialed 999, the emergency number for the U.K., and waited for an ambulance to arrive.

“It was the longest couple of minutes of my life,” the dad said. “I was worried, shocked and most of all angry. Dylan’s a good kid and has never done anything like this before.”

Cosgrove was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Gateshead where an x-ray found that his right hand had been broken in multiple places and two tendons were snapped.

He spent four-and-a-half hours in surgery to repair the damage. But since Cosgrove is left-handed, he now has a difficult time using his right hand after the incident, which left him scarred for life, the Daily Star notes.

Cosgrove, who purchased the firework for £1 ($1.61) from a friend, says he was “extremely lucky” and admits it could have been much worse.

“I even put it to my mouth to try to put it out,” he said of the incident. “That was crazy when I think about what could have happened if it had exploded in my face.”

The teenager’s parents got rid of the remaining fireworks and demanded tougher restriction on how people can buy fireworks.

Sources: MetroDaily Mirror, Daily Star

Image Credits: North News, SWNS via Metro


Popular Video