A pregnant California woman claims to have found a bloody piece of fingertip in her salad at an Applebee’s in Paso Robles.
Cathleen Martin and her family ate at the Abblebee’s restaurant on Dec. 20; she ordered a Chinese chicken salad. While eating the salad, of which all of her family members had tried, she claims to have discovered a small slice of a fingertip inside, The San Luis Obispo Tribune reports.
Photo Source: Paso Robles Daily News
The family told restaurant management about the fingertip, who confirmed it belonged to a cook.
“It was so gross,” Cathleen said in a news release prepared by her attorney’s office. “I’m on pins and needles worrying about what my family might have been exposed to.”
Applebee’s council sent a letter to the Martins nine days later, stating management, by law, could not require the cook to undergo any medical tests.
“I am writing to confirm our telephone conversation on Dec. 22, 2015, regarding the incident at the Applebee’s in Paso Robles on Dec. 20, 2015…Please have your doctor send me a letter detailing the tests he/she would like performed on the cook. As I explained to you, we cannot require the cook to undergo any medical tests or disclose the results, but we will certainly make every effort to get the information you need,” the letter reads, as obtained by the Paso Robles Daily News.
The Martins lawyer, Eric Traut, responded to Applebee's counsel’s letter by stating a claim had been filed against the restaurant, and requested specific tests be performed on the cook: A Nucleic acid-based test (designed to identify the presence of a microorganism like HIV and Hepatitis C); and a blood, sputum, urine and stool testing.
According to a statement from Alan Knapp, area director of the franchise, Apple MidCal, the cook volunteered to undergo screening.
“We take matters involving the health and safety of our guests and team members seriously,” the statement reads. “Accordingly, we immediately investigated and determined that an accident did occur in our kitchen. We discussed the matter with the Martins while still at our restaurant, shared our sincere apologies, and have continued to speak with Mrs. Martin in an effort to address her concerns.
“Additionally, the team member involved volunteered to undergo screening in an effort to provide the peace of mind Mrs. Martin seeks. Further, we are retraining our team members on our safety protocols and will take any necessary actions to prevent anything like this from occurring again.”
The Martins claim against the restaurant seeks unspecified damages for emotional distress, medical expenses, and lost income.