An Australian man was frightened to discover a python inside a box of cornflakes.
Jarred Smith, 22, went to his kitchen on March 3 to prepare a bowl of cereal. When he opened the box of cornflakes, he found a huge diamond python coiled up inside the box.
"A f**king huge diamond python is just in our kitchen, in a f**king Kellogg's Cornflakes box," Smith said in a video posted to YouTube. "It scared the life out of me."
Jarred, who said he'd seen pythons in pools and barns before, admitted that he'd never experienced anything like this. "It was super weird. I peeked in the box, saw its head pop out and that’s when I dropped my food on the counter and bolted for the door," he said.
The young man asked his father, Norris, for help, and the two called the New South Wales Wildlife Information, Rescue and Education Service. WIRES members came to the house, caught the snake and released it in the wild.
"The python was more than 2 m (6 1/2 feet) long and I couldn’t believe it was jammed into this small cereal box,” WIRES member Chris McGreal said. “When I got there I actually had to tear the box to get it out, that’s how tightly squeezed in it was. It’s likely it was hiding in there to feel secure.”
McGreal assured Jarred that the snake was not a threat to him, as diamond pythons are harmless to humans unless someone aggravates one.
“Diamond pythons are timid, stealthy snakes and the majority of the time you don’t see them. In general, they are the most placid, least harmful snake you’ll come across. The only reason for a snake bite would be mishandling or if the animal feels threatened,” he said.
Photo Credit: Screen Capture via Daily Telegraph Australia