ASU Fraternity Member with Alcohol Poisoning Left At Hospital with Note

A young man who attends Arizona State University was left in the front of a hospital in a wheel chair with a note indicating he needed treatment for alcohol poisoning.

His friends decided to leave him there because they needed to go out to eat.

The man, 20, was left on Saturday at Tempe St. Luke's Hospital around 4 p.m. He was passed out and turning blue due to trouble breathing. He is a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity.

A note was written and left with him, indicating the student's identity and what was wrong with him. It said they were in a drinking competition and the man had drank a large amount of tequila.

Tempe Police Dept. Spokesman Sgt. Mike Pooley said it was good the man was dropped off at the hospital, but irresponsible of his friends to leave him there.

"He was turning blue in the wheelchair and he was having difficulties breathing. The emergency room staff treat him very quickly, they're able to get him checked out and they're able to actually save his life," Pooley said.

He was on the verge of death, as his blood alcohol content was 0.47 percent, five times the legal limit for driving.

He also had begun choking on his own vomit, an occurrence which often kills those who are highly intoxicated.

Pooley said it was wrong for his friends to prioritize food over their friend's safety.

"One of the individuals said he had to go out to eat instead of staying there with his buddy…It's just complete irresponsibility and not wanting to [experience] consequences for your actions," he said.

The sergeant admits it could have been worse.

"The amount of alcohol he consumed in that short amount of time, it put his life in danger. He's lucky that there were at least a few individuals that were there that cared enough to bring him to get medical attention," he said.

Sources: Inquisitr,ABC


Popular Video