Al-Qaeda has released a new video in which terrorists threaten to execute a British-born American photographer within three days if its long, unspecified list of demands is not met.
In the three-minute video, which was released by the Al Malahem Media Center Thursday morning, al-Qaeda senior official Nasser bin Ali al Ansi is seen reading from a script in Arabic and warning President Obama that 33-year-old Luke Somers will be killed in three days if American officials don’t act upon a list of demands, reports the Daily Mail. He isn’t clear about those demands, but says officials are “aware” of them.
Somers, who was captured in the Yemeni capital of Sana’a in September of 2013, also appears on camera – eight days after American commandos failed to rescue him during a raid in Yemen, reports the Washington Post. While other prisoners were reportedly rescued, Somers was moved from the location.
“It’s now been well over a year since I’ve been kidnapped in Sana’a,” Somers said. “Basically, I’m looking for any help that can get me out of this situation. I’m certain that my life is in danger. So as I sit here now, I ask if anything can be done, please let it be done. Thank you very much.”
The Pentagon had previously asked members of the media not to report on the raid, for fear that it could hurt Somers, but the story was leaked. In the video, the official says that al-Qaeda fighters were killed during the raid in Yemen.
Somers was born in Britain and is an American citizen. He reportedly moved from London to Yemen in 2010 to work as a teacher. After taking photos at anti-government protests, he then switched careers and began working as a photojournalist for the Yemen Times.