A Texas mother is upset after her son's tongue got stuck in a water bottle, and he needed surgery to have it removed.
KPRC reports that 9-year-old Trenton Mikkola took several sips out of his water bottle during a break at Theiss Elementary in Houston when the suction from the bottle ensnared his tongue and he became stuck.
"My tongue was swollen, and it kept getting bigger and bigger," Trenton said.
Trenton got his teacher’s attention and he was brought to the school nurse’s office. They tried to remove the bottle to no avail, then called his mother, Tawanna.
"The way [it was] described to me over-the-phone, there was no urgency," explained Tawanna. "I'm thinking he's just freaking out because something happened. I didn't realize it was such a degree," she continued.
According to KHOU, nurses tried using tongue depressors and Vaseline, but could not remove the water bottle. The school’s maintenance man even tried using pliers with no luck.
The nurses suggested that Trenton be brought to Urgent Care. But Urgent Care could not take care of the problem, so eventually, he landed in Texas Children’s Hospital in Katy, Texas.
"A couple doctors came in and everybody was like, 'We've never seen this before. How'd this happen,'" Tawanna said.
Trenton eventually underwent surgery to have the bottle removed, and spent four days in the ICU as a result.
Doctors told Tawanna that her son should have been brought to them sooner, not taken to urgent care as was initially suggested by the school nurses.
"I would rather err on the side of caution and have the ambulance come out and everything is fine than go this route," said Travis Mikkola, Trenton's father.
The school district released the following statement in response:
An incident did occur last year where a water bottle lid got stuck on a student's lips. While federal privacy laws prohibit Klein ISD from releasing specific information about students, Klein ISD can confirm that it acted swiftly and immediately to attempt to aid the child by involving the school nurse and obtaining other assistance.
At no time did the nurse observe any obstructed airways or circulation concerns. The nurse remained with the child until the parent arrived and continuously provided aid. The campus principal has not received a request for the nurse's log of the incident. If ever a student's airway is blocked or there is potential that could become blocked, Klein ISD would call emergency services before calling the parent.
But the Mikkolas say the opposite happened, and they want their story to serve as a cautionary tale to other parents.
"I want parents to see that type of thing and I want schools to be aware that there is a process and a protocol that I think you're supposed to follow," Tawanna said.