87-Year-Old Woman Dies Of Smoke Inhalation After Burning Food

An elderly New York woman died of smoke inhalation after burning food on her stove in her Lower East Side apartment early Saturday.

The 87-year-old woman was found unconscious by emergency responders after her home filled with smoke at 12:55 a.m., the NYPD said.

She was taken to New York-Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell, but later succumbed to her injuries. Her name was withheld pending the notification of her family.

Fire marshals told the New York Daily News that the blaze appeared to be caused by burning food.

Sources: New York Daily News, News Hour 24


Popular Video