4-Year-Old Accidentally Crushed By TV After Dresser Tips


A 4-year-old child died after a television accidentally fell on top of him on Thursday.

The incident occurred at a home near 15th and Mineral on Milwaukee, Wisconsin’s south side. According to the Milwaukee County Medical Examiner’s Office, the young boy was attempting to load a DVD when the unsecured TV fell on top of him.

The 150-pound TV was set on top of a dresser and the DVD player was also on top of the dresser. When the boy pulled out the bottom drawer of the dresser to stand on and reach the DVD player, the entire dresser fell over and the TV landed on the boy’s head.

The boy’s mother was in another room with another child when the incident occurred.

“There was a big noise from upstairs and there was blood on the stairs and the mom – she really was reacting – crying and screaming,” Henry Vazquez, a 9-year-old neighbor, said.

Vazquez spoke with Fox News after his mother gave him permission to explain what had happened next door.

Jane Howard, Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin injury prevention supervisor, said that parents don’t often think about child-proofing television sets. She noted that it’s important to secure all furniture and TVs so that they don’t tip.

“Kids are going to climb,” Howard said. “They’re going to open those drawers. Nobody means for that to happen, but those are the things that as soon as that child steps on that lower drawer, the whole dresser…can go down.”

The Consumer Product Safety Commission has since offered several tips to prevent “tip-over” tragedies. The CPSC recommends using sturdy furniture, securing TVs, mounting flat-screen TVs, following manufacturer's instructions and removing tempting objects that would encourage kids to climb.

Sources: Fox News, Channel 3000 / Photo credit: YouTube


Popular Video