Skip to main content

3-Year-Old Loses Both Legs, Fingers Due To Misdiagnosis

Reuben Harvey-Smith, age 3, went to the hospital one day with a fever and sore throat, and ended up having both legs and seven fingers amputated.

He was initially diagnosed with tonsillitis and given antibiotics, reports Little Things.

But Reuben had toxic shock syndrome, a bacterial infection. Although it's typically associated with tampon use, it can also afflict young children who have been burned.

Reuben had recently had a burn, but the medical personnel at the hospital failed to consider toxic shock syndrome as a possible cause of his infection.

By the time the cause was identified, the infection had progressed to the point where the amputations were required to save the boy's life.

The hospital, having accepted financial liability for the misdiagnosis, is working with Reuben's family on a financial settlement.

Reuben is bravely taking it all in stride.

According to his mother, Lou, “He came round from the operation, and the first thing he did was ask for ‘mummy cuddles’ and his dinner ... He just accepts it and gets on with things. He never gets frustrated."

Lou is also making the best of it, sharing Reuben's story and trying to educate the public about toxic shock syndrome in children, so that others might avoid the same fate.

“I try not to waste energy getting angry because at the end of the day I’ve still got my son," she explains, "but what I have got to do now is make sure it doesn’t happen to anyone else.”

The website has some tips for recognizing symptoms of burn-related toxic shock in children, which include:

  • Confusion
  • Fever
  • Low blood pressure
  • Diarrhea
  • Rash

In addition, the site notes that a blood pressure test is key in diagnosing the syndrome, and should always be requested when a child has some of all of the symptoms.

Sources: Little Things/Facebook, Little Things / Photo credit: Little Things/Facebook

Popular Video