Skip to main content

15 Percent of American Women Say They Were Denied A Promotion or Raise Due to Their Gender

Fifteen percent of women in America claim they were passed over for a promotion or other opportunity at work because of their gender, according to a new Gallup poll.

Thirteen percent said they were denied a raise at work because they are female. Women also reported feeling less satisfied with pay and promotions.

When asked the same questions, working men were far less likely to say they felt they were ever denied a raise or promotion based on their gender. Eight percent of working men believe their gender prevented them from getting a promotion, while four percent believe they have been denied a raise for the same reason.

Republican and conservative women were slightly less likely to report they were ever passed over for a promotion or denied a raise based on their gender. Only eight percent of Republican women and 10 percent of conservative women felt they weren't given a raise because of their gender.

Women are still earning less money for similar work, ThinkProgress reported. Females who are college graduates, with the same grades, degree and schooling make less males. Women also face a longer climb towards career advancement than males even if they attend top schools.

Recent studies showed the gender wage gap can even been traced back to children and their allowance.

So with 85 percent of all women in the U.S. saying they have not been denied a raise, promotion, or other work opportunity based on their gender, is workplace discrimination truly to blame for the way the other 15 percent feels?

Sources: ThinkProgress, Gallup


Popular Video