At least 12 people are dead after as many as three shooters dressed in military uniforms opened fire at the Washington Navy Yard Monday morning, reports the Washington Post.
Witnesses said a gunman fired from the fourth floor, aiming down at the first-floor cafeteria, reports the Associated Press. Other witnesses describe a gunman firing at them in a third-floor hallway. The Press noted that it was unclear clear whether the witnesses on different floors were describing the same gunman.
Among those shot were two law enforcement officers.
Police said one is a D.C. Metropolitan Police officer who was shot twice in the leg and was evacuated to a hospital. Authorities report that he was in stable condition after engaging the shooter with gunfire. The other, a D.C. base officer, was conscious at MedStar Washington Hospital Center and his chances for survival were good, hospital officials said.
One shooter was pronounced dead at the scene. Authorities have identified him as a Navy employee whose work status had been changed earlier this year, said an anonymous federal government official. Though this may suggest his motive was job-related, authorities haven’t ruled out anything including terrorism, the official said.
Authorities are still looking for two more shooters.
“The big concern for us right now is that we have potentially two other shooters that we have not located at this point,” D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier told the Associated Press.
Lanier described one of the shooters as a white male in his 40s, wearing a khaki military-style uniform and a beret, and carrying a handgun. The second suspect is a black male in his 40s wearing an olive military-style uniform and carrying a “long gun.”
According to Lanier, authorities have “multiple pieces of information that would suggest” that the two suspects are armed.
Police are asking anyone with information on these two people to call 202-727-9099.
Employees in Navy Yard now leaving after being locked down inside for 6 plus hours.
— Dan Friedman (@dfriedman33) September 16, 2013
Photo of Navy Yard worker who took the time to lead his blind colleague off the base when shots rang out. pic.twitter.com/E30C9H5CC1
— Chris Moody (@Chris_Moody) September 16, 2013
.@PeteWilliamsNBC reports, via fingerprints, I.D. of gunman is 34yo Aaron Alexis; civilian contractor; orig. from Ft. Worth, TX; stole ID
— Chuck Todd (@chucktodd) September 16, 2013
— The Associated Press (@AP) September 16, 2013