After 56 years of marriage, Wisconsin man Jack Lang couldn’t take his wife’s nagging anymore.
Lang, 76, was arrested by police on Wednesday after authorities found his wife’s dead body inside their home. When questioned, Lang said he killed his spouse June Lang because she wouldn’t stop “nagging him.”
“According to the complaint, Lang says as he drove to Potawatomi, his wife began calling him names — specifically calling him a “baby.” He says when they arrived, he did not feel well and wanted to leave — but he says his wife started “giving him hell” about having to leave the restaurant,” Wisconsin station Fox 6 News reports.
Lang told police his wife had been nagging him for weeks about his inability to “show her a good time” anymore. She also reportedly made fun of him for having to call neighbors over to take care of house chores he used to be able to do himself.
The report says Lang told his wife to “lay off” on Wednesday and let him lay down. When Mrs. Lang continued pestering him, he lost it. Lang retrieved his .22 caliber gun from his room and loaded it with bullets. He then opened fire on Mrs. Lang before turning the gun on himself. According to the report, Lang only “grazed” himself once.
Mrs. Lang was pronounced dead at the scene when police arrived at the couple’s house. Lang was promptly charged with one felony count of intentional homicide and one count of use of a dangerous weapon. If convicted, he will likely spend the rest of his life in prison.
The "War on Easter" frenzy has officially begun in Madison, Wis. where the atheist group Freedom From Religion Foundation and the Christian group Concerned Women for America are competing with opposing messages at the State Capitol building.
The Freedom From Religion Foundation has set up a sign that reads "Nobody died for our sins, Jesus Christ is a myth."
Concerned Women for America set up a display that includes a Christian cross and pro-life literature, noted Fox News.
Annie Laurie Gaylor, co-president of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, said in a press release:
It's unfortunate to see a sectarian symbol [a cross] that is increasingly used as a symbol of political intimidation in our state capitol.
It's also unfortunate to see women serving as a front for a patriarchal religion based on women's subservience and second-class status. This is the same group that helped defeat the Equal Rights Amendment citing its allegiance to biblical principles, instead of civil liberties under our secular government.
The Freedom From Religion Foundation also claims that someone tried to mangle their sign, but they got it back and put it back up.
This is an old story, but it caught our eye and it's definitely interesting.
Everyone knows parents often live vicariously through their children’s sports accomplishments, but this is something else.
Green Bay, Wisconsin woman Wendy Brown faced identity theft charges after authorities discovered she enrolled in high school posing as her daughter in order to relive high school and join the cheerleading team.
"The defendant stated she wanted to get her high school degree and be a cheerleader because she had no childhood and was trying to regain a part of her life she missed," court records state.
Brown, 33, had the staff at Ashwaubenon High School fooled, too. The only reason administrators suspected anything of her is because she quit showing up to school after the first day of class. Prior to the school year starting, Brown attended cheerleading camp, received a cheerleader’s locker, and went to a pool party at the cheerleading coach’s house.
Brown’s 15-year-old daughter who she was posing as lived in Nevada with her grandmother at the time. The grandmother reported that Brown has a history of identity theft crimes.
After investigating, school administrators reported Brown to police, and she was charged with identity theft.
That potential $10,000 fine was problematic for Brown, since the $134 check she wrote to the school for her cheerleading uniform bounced.
According to the Daily Mail, Brown was ultimately committed to three years in a mental facility.
In January, Wisconsin Sen. Glenn Grothman introduced legislation that would eliminate the state requirement that workers get at least one day off per week.
On Thursday, the ultra-conservative Grothman announced that he plans to run for Congress. He will be challenging 18-term Republican Rep. Tom Petri. In a statement, Grothman cited frustration with a “federal government that seems to be out of control.”
“Right now in Wisconsin, you’re not supposed to work seven days in a row, which is a little ridiculous because all sorts of people want to work seven days a week,” Grothman said.
Arguing that people are rarely productive on their days off, has stated that he would be “shocked if you can find anybody doing service” when they aren’t at work.
Grothman’s anti-weekend campaign is no new movement. Three years ago, he argued that employees should have to work on Martin Luther King Day.
“Let’s be honest, giving government employees off has nothing to do with honoring Martin Luther King Day and it’s just about giving state employees another day off,” he said.
Also not safe from Grothman’s full workweek campaign is Kwanzaa. At a town hall in 2013, he stated that “almost no black people today care about” the holiday. He went on to say that Kwanzaa exists only because of “white left-wingers who try to shove this down black people’s throats in an effort to divide Americans.”
Notable amongst Grothman’s questionable past moves has been an attempt to cut back a program that provided free birth control. Additionally, he floated a bill that would have labeled single parenthood “a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect.”
The equally questionable rationale to the latter bill was his contention that women actually choose to become single mothers, and only call their pregnancies “unplanned” because that’s what people want to hear.
“I think people are trained to say that ‘this is a surprise to me,’ because there’s still enough of a stigma that they’re supposed to say this,” he said in 2012.
Law enforcement officials in Madison, Wis., have arrested six individuals suspected of breaking into a house, robbing the property and sexually assaulting a pregnant woman that was inside. The suspects also reportedly beat the pregnant woman's blind husband as he lay in bed.
Interim Police Chief Randy Gaber explained that a crime of this severity was relatively unprecedented in the Madison area.
“I can tell you that in my 27-plus years of policing here in Madison, this is probably one of the most disturbing and heinous crimes that I’ve ever seen,” Gaber said.
According to WKOW, the six suspects are all individuals in their early 20s. Kristopher Hughes, 20, Michon Thomas, 22, and Eric Bass, 23, were charged with the harshest crimes of armed robbery and sexual assault. Effemia Neumaier, 21, and DeAndre Mayweathers, 23, were charged solely with conspiracy to commit armed robbery, while 22-year-old Demarco Mallit was charged with aiding a felon and theft. Neumaier was the lone female suspect involved in the incident.
According to the Minnesota StarTribune, the incident took place on Feb. 23. The suspects intended to rob a different property but continued attacking the individuals inside the home despite realizing the mistake. The suspects reportedly assaulted the victims for 40 to 50 minutes before leaving. The two victims called 911 from a nearby business and were subsequently taken to the hospital to be treated for various injuries.
Information regarding the forthcoming criminal proceedings for the six suspects has not yet been released.
In 2013, Brian Cooper was accused of sexually assaulting and killing Alisha Bromfield.
Convicting Cooper of sexual assault proved to be fairly simple. Unfortunately, the jury could not decide on the murder charge because he was drunk during the attack.
Bromfield's family is now trying to overturn a Wisconsin law which prevents a first-degree murder conviction when someone is drunk because "a killer's intent can't be proved if intoxicated," reports The Daily Mail.
Cooper allegedly strangled Bromfield because she refused to rekindle their relationship.
After Bromfield died, Cooper sexually assaulted her body. Bromfield was six months pregnant.
Both Bromfield and her unborn baby girl died in the attack.
According to Jury foreman Mark A. Hagen, the jury's main disagreement was over the meaning of a line in the instructions they were given.
The instructions read: "If the defendant was so intoxicated that the defendant did not intend to kill Alisha Bromfield, you must find the defendant not guilty of first-degree intentional homicide."
Cooper has never denied killing Bromfield, and his defense at trial was that the alcohol he consumed inhibited his ability to form intent.
"This bill is to eliminate voluntary intoxication as a defense for criminal liability," the post read.
The petition gained 6,300 signatures in 48 hours. It will go to the House, Senate, and the Governor of Wisconsin.
"Being drunk is no excuse for murder. We are trying to get a law passed that amends voluntary intoxication that it cannot be used as a defense for murdering," Sherry Anicich, Bromfield's mother, told CBS Chicago.
Cooper will be retried on murder charges for the deaths of Bromfield and her unborn child on May 5.
At this point, the NSA phone-spying scandal is nearly irrelevant. Privacy-wary individuals shouldn’t be worrying about the federal agency spying on their text or email conversations — they should worry about that information being leaked by other individuals or through court mandates. Basically everything that a person sends on the Internet can be easily accessed and revealed to the rest of the world. If there’s a scandal on a public scale or a law suit, whatever an individual has sent online will inevitably emerge.
Somehow, politicians fail to understand this concept. Anthony Weiner caused multiple scandals related to his sexually-suggestive text messages and tweets, and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie’s staff caused controversy regarding an email thread that indicated their involvement in the closure of the George Washington Bridge.
A newly released email thread demonstrates the racist, homophobic and anti-Semitic nature of a conversation between Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker’s staff members.
According to the Huffington Post, the released email chain includes correspondence between Thomas Nardelli, who was Walker’s chief of staff, and his deputy Kelly Rindfleisch. At the time of the email thread, in 2010, Walker was the Milwaukee County executive.
In the email, Nardelli states the following: “In the nightmare ... I am homosexual, and on top of that with a Mexican boyfriend. Oh, my God ... Black, Jewish, disabled, gay with a Mexican boyfriend, drug addict, and HIV-positive!!! ... Say it isn’t so!!! I can handle being a black, disabled, one armed, drug-addicted, Jewish homosexual on a pacemaker who is HIV positive, bald, orphaned, unemployed, lives in a slum, and has a Mexican boyfriend, but please, Oh dear God, please don’t tell me I’m a Democrat.”
The message doesn’t fully make sense without context (the Huffington Post alleges Nardelli was describing "a 'nightmare' scenario"), but it does demonstrate his ignorance.
That email was just one of thousands released by a Wisconsin Court of Appeals in response to an investigation into campaign activity during Walker’s tenure as county executive. Walker himself is not being investigated, but numerous members of his staff are under the spotlight. The Washington Post and other media outlets have uncovered some unusual stories by combing through the massive amounts of emails, but none have implicated significant wrongdoing on behalf of Walker’s former staff.
Wisconsin man Jason Willis has been banned from the Internet after playing a twisted practical joke on his neighbor.
Willis posted an ad on Craigslist pretending to be his female neighbor Dawn. The ad asked men to show up at Dawn’s house for sex. Willis used his neighbor’s name, address, and contact information in the ad.
Sure enough, men started showing up at Dawn’s house. One eager responder showed up in nothing but a trench coat.
“[Willis’] idea of a joke is much different to other peoples’ idea of a joke,” Dawn said.
“He had my full name," Dawn said of the man who showed up to her home in a trench coat. "He knew my address. And he said, ‘Oh, I got it off of Craigslist. You put an ad on there.’”
Dawn reported the incident to detectives. Some quick research found Willis posted numerous ads across the web asking men to come to Dawn's house for sex. They tracked the IP address behind the ads to Willis’ home.
On Tuesday, Willis accepted a plea deal for the charges. He will be disallowed access to the Internet for 30 days and will be on probation for 30 months.
Presiding Judge Allan Torhorst compared Willis’ dangerous use of the Internet to a drunk driver’s use of a car.
“If you want to drive drunk, you’re not allowed to drive,” Torhorst said. “To me, a public availability of the Internet—to use it the way he did—is unconscionable. Everybody knows it’s wrong. He knew it was wrong. He admitted it.”
A movement called “Overpasses for America” is calling for the president’s impeachment. As you might have guessed from their name, their chosen outlets for self-expression are overpasses.
Overpasses for America is also calling for the removal of members of Congress who “disregard the constitution” and “engage in crony capitalism.”
Demonstrators in Campbell, Wis. started using the town’s pedestrian overpass to display their patriotism and to call for Obama’s impeachment in August of 2013.
After another October gathering that angered local citizens, the Town of Campbell passed an ordinance prohibiting the display of signs, flags, or banners within 100 feet of the overpass.
Chad Hawkins, the town’s clerk and treasurer, said that the ordinance was enacted with the intention of protecting those driving by. A multilane highway runs under this particular overpass, and banners overhead could easily serve as distraction to motorists.
On October 24, demonstrators gathered on the overpass, wearing T-shirts that collectively spelled “IMPEACH OBAMA.” They were ordered off the overpass by police officers who were threatening to issue citations. Amongst them was Thomas Luce, who is now pressing charges against the city.
Joining Luce in the lawsuit is Nicholas Newman, who, three days after the T-shirt incident on the overpass, displayed an American flag on the overpass and was issued a $139 citation.
The Thomas More Law Center is handling Luce and Newman’s lawsuit, which claims that their rights to freedom of speech and peaceful assembly have been violated. In addition, it states that the ordinance itself is “blatantly unconstitutional.”
Hawkins has also spoken out, saying that the ordinance “was never intended to eliminate their right to speech.”
Richard Thompson, president and chief counsel of the Law Center has said that he is “astonished that the Town of Campbell and the police department think it can ban a citizen from displaying the American Flag.”
As Thompson has elaborated, the First Amendment cannot ban expression of ideas “just because some find it offensive.”
“In fact,” Thompson said, “the Supreme Court has allowed the burning of the American Flag on the grounds that it is a matter of free expression.”
Photo Source: http://www.washingtontimes.com
The parents of students attending Marinette Middle School in Wisconsin are upset over a game organized by administrators that they say revealed too much about the personal lives of students.
The game was called “Cross the Line.”
According to administrators, the game was part of an anti-bullying program and was meant to build stronger bonds between students. Talk to parents and you’ll hear a different story.
In the game, a teacher asks a question like “Do you have any siblings at home?” Any student with siblings at home then steps forwards. The concept of the game doesn’t seem problematic. But check out the kinds of questions being asked by teachers at Marinette:
“Do your parents drink?”
“Has anyone in your family ever been to jail?”
“Have you ever been suicidal?”
“Have you ever had the urge to cut yourself?”
Questions like these, parents say, are inappropriate for middle school children to be answering in front of their peers.
“This kind of stuff, I mean, this can’t happen again,” one mother said. “These are our little kids. We’re parents. We should’ve been protecting them. You should’ve gave us the benefit of the doubt of contacting us.”
Not only do parents believe the game was inappropriate, but they also report that participation in it was required. Marinette administrators claim participation was voluntary, but one student who declined to take part was threatened with in-school suspension.
The student’s parent spoke to NBC 26 about her daughter’s refusal to partake in the game.
“She stood her ground, half her class stood their ground,” Janette Sadowski said. “Those are questions no child should have to answer.”
On Friday, the school sent a letter home to parents explaining why the game was played. Parents are demanding more answers, though, and hope to meet with school officials soon.
“It was too personal,” another parent added. “It’s just things your kids don’t need to be disclosing to other kids.”