After a video of a boy being beaten up was posted to Facebook, police arrested three people and took two children into protective custody.
In the six-minute video, an 11-year-old boy is smacked in the face and hit with a belt more than 50 times. At least three adults watch the lashing happen in the video, and can be heard saying that the boy is being punished for posting false information on his Facebook page.
“Near the end of the video, the child was in obvious pain and he was squirming while being struck and still forced to hold onto the arms of the chair,” the Genesee County Prosecutor’s Office said in a statement.
At the end of the video, the boy is made to give his name and age for the camera.
The beating happened on April 3 in a neighborhood on Flint’s east side.
“Officers went to that location with Child Protective Services and made the two arrests,” said Collin Birnie of the Flint police department.
Demitria Latrion Powell, the victim’s 28-year-old mother, Uteas Michelle Taylor, the boy’s 42-year-old godmother, and Stefon Tirrell Felton, the godmother’s 40-year-old boyfriend, have all reportedly been arrested. They are each facing charges of third degree child abuse, conspiracy to commit child abuse and child abuse committed in the presence of another child.
The 11-year-old boy and an infant are now in protective custody.
The video sparked outrage over the weekend; it was shared more than 1,000 times before it was deleted from the boy’s Facebook page. As of Tuesday morning, the video had been shared more than 9,000 times total.
Birnie stated that the police found out about the incident through Facebook, explaining, “That’s why the police department has gotten it also. We have our own Facebook page now which helped us in this particular case.”
All child abuse charges are felonies in the state of Michigan.
“I watched the video and I was disturbed by it,” said David Leyton, Genesee County prosecutor.
“The law says that you can administer reasonable physical force upon a child for disciplinary purposes,” said Leyton. “I think this was unreasonable.”
A fight caught on video between a teacher and high school student has become a media sensation and caused an uproar in the community.
The video allegedly shows Santa Monica High School wrestling coach and science teacher Mark Black physically restraining a student who supposedly was caught selling marijuana in his classroom.
Students who witnessed the incident said that it began when Black tried to confiscate a bag of cannabis from the teenager who reportedly then stabbed Black with a pencil, reports the Daily News.
Neither Black nor the student threw punches, and the video shows Black eventually with his arms locked around the student’s legs, on the floor.
The student was arrested; Black has been placed on leave pending an investigation.
A letter sent home to parents by Black’s boss has caused an uproar.
Sandra Lyon, superintendent of the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District, wrote in the letter that “a number of videos capturing at least a portion of the incident are circulating, and I can tell you that what I witnessed on one of those videos is utterly alarming.”
She also wrote that the “physical restraint” used by the teacher was “unacceptable.”
Many people disagree.
“In matters of self-defense, or matters involving harm to other students, I think it’s reasonable for teachers to use physical force to restrain students,” Oscar De La Torre, an SMMUSD school board member told KTLA. He said that if Black had wanted to, “he could’ve hurt that student. I call it really restrained intervention on his part.”
A Facebook page supporting Coach Black was created; it had over 2,500 “likes” in a half a day and has now surpassed 6,500. Many commenters on the page have shown their support for the teacher.
“Terrible job by the superintendent making statements without full knowledge of the situation ... poor leadership and not very supportive of her teachers,” wrote John S. Dahlem, a teacher in Orange County who grew up in Santa Monica. “The superintendent needs to read the Education Code on reasonable restraint and the rights of teachers to defend themselves when being attacked, stabbed with a pencil, etc.”
In response to the uproar caused by her first letter, Lyon sent another addressed to the community.
“There is concern that my statement reflected a pre-judgement of the the teacher’s conduct prior to completion of an investigation,” Superintendent Lyon wrote. “There is also concern about my failure to address the conduct of one or more students who were involved in the incident. In retrospect, I understand how my statement created those concerns. I apologize that my comments focuses solely on the message that teachers should not physically engage when disciplining students or intervening without underscoring that we need to obtain all the details leading up to this situation before we reach conclusions.”
A petition has been created by alumni Timothy Conley to reinstate Coach Black. It currently has 1,136 supporters.
A 4-year-old girl’s family is desperately trying to raise $2.5 million to produce the treatment for the rare disease that will shortly start eating away at their daughter’s body and mind.
In July, Eliza O’Neill was diagnosed with Sanfilippo Syndrome, an extremely rare genetic disorder that is caused by an inability to break down certain sugars. Her family is now racing against time to cure the disease that will soon begin showing its debilitating effects.
Only an estimated 2,000 children are born with Sanfilippo Syndrome each year worldwide. The children who are diagnosed with it typically develop deficiencies in muscle growth, speech and brain functions by age five; most are not expected to live into their early 20s.
Many of the victims are confined to wheelchairs as the disease begins to spread.
“She does stuff like any active child,” said Eliza’s father Glenn, who has said that his daughter is not aware of what will soon start happening to her. “It’s hard to believe this will come as quickly as it does, but other parents have said yes, it will.”
Six months ago, the family began raising money through fundraisers and 5k events in their Columbia, S.C. community. They have currently raised about $250,000.
This, however, is a mere fraction of the total cost of producing the treatment and running the clinical trial, which is estimated to be about $2.5 million.
“We realized we would fall short,” Eliza’s father, Glenn, said. “This means everything to us.”
The family turned their attention to a wider audience: they decided to make a viral video about their cause. A Google search on “how to make a viral video” led the family to filmmakers DL Cade and Benjamin Von Wong, who produced the film.
“Be part of the miracle: Saving Eliza” went online Wednesday morning. In the video, Eliza is seen with 11-year-old friend Izzy Jurado, who also has the disease. Izzy has trouble moving around and controlling her body.
The video ends with a plea: “Please share. Please share.”
The trial will be conducted at Nationwide Children’s Hospitals in Columbus, Ohio. The hospital is working to get FDA approval to start treating the disorder. Researchers have said that they can begin ordering doses of the specific gene that the patients are missing as soon as $1 million is raised. The treatment will cover 15 children, who will be injected with the gene and monitored for the next 15 years.
“We have the cure. It’s going to happen at some point. But it won’t happen without money and if it gets delayed, Eliza won’t get it and a lot of other kids won’t get it,” Glenn continued.
The family is collecting contributions at GoFundMe.Com. All contributions will go directly to the funding the trial.
11Garbage Man Jeremy Fischer’s Act Of Patriotism Caught On Video Has Him Being Hailed A Hero (Video)
One Oregon garbage man wishes he wasn’t in the spotlight, but his simple act of patriotism put him there anyway.
Jeremy Fischer was out doing his job at 6 a.m., as he usually does, when he noticed a flag on the ground that had fallen from a resident’s flagpole.
“There’s a lot of sacrifice, a lot of hope, a lot of other stuff that is the American flag. I figured since so many people have died for that, the least I could do was pick it up,” Fischer told KATU-TV.
The garbage man folded the flag military style, as he learned to do so when he was a Boy Scout, and returned it to its rightful owner. He didn’t tell anyone because he didn’t want to call attention to himself.
Fischer didn’t get his wish because a neighbor just happened to share the incident on Fischer’s employer, Pride Disposal, on their Facebook page:
“No one else saw this going on, except me and God, and I shared this story several times yesterday – it bought smiles to many faces, as well as my neighbor who is very grateful. Thank you, Mr. Garbage Man!!!!! May God Bless You!”
Fischer’s bosses had to convince him to tell his story and made the surveillance video that caught the entire act public.
“Honestly if I had my way I wouldn’t be on TV,” he said.
But whether he wanted to or not, his actions have caught many people’s attention.
“I just wanted to say thank you to Jeremy, for rescuing that flag and seeing it get properly taken care of,” Jesse Ramirez wrote on Pride Disposal’s Facebook page. “It sure does mean a lot to me and my brothers and sisters.”
Sources: Facebook, KATU-TV
A Pizza Hut in southern West Virginia closed permanently after a district manager was caught on surveillance video urinating into a sink in the food preparation area.
The video, dated Jan. 29, shows the manager looking over something on a computer after the restaurant had closed for the day. Then, the manager turns around, unzips his jeans and begins urinating in the metal sink. When he finishes, he grabs his coffee mug and casually returns to the computer.
The restaurant was owned by Wichita-based company Rage Inc. It owns Pizza Huts in seven states, including several others in West Virginia.
Pizza Hut Corp. spokesman Doug Terfehr stated Wednesday that the decision to close the restaurant was made on Feb. 19, after the video surfaced.
Terfehr added that the district manager had been fired.
Since its original posting date, the video has accumulated 600,000 views.
One woman showed what a “makeunder” can really do as she underwent an amazing transformation that left her looking like a completely new person.
Mel, 21, appeared on a British reality show that has makeup-obsessed people go through a makeover that shows off their natural beauty.
Mel was the ideal example of makeup-obsessed. With numerous piercings, her pink Mohawk hair, white makeup, heavy eyeliner, and spiked collar, she admitted to the show her punk look used to scare people away on the street.
Her mom, Jill, can attest to that.
“Some people look at her as if she’s… scum,” Jill said.
But Mel says that didn’t bother her.
“If its not ripped, rip it and dye your [hair] the brightest colors ever,” she told the show. “I couldn’t care less what anyone says about me.”
Still, she went through with the makeover, which revealed her natural beauty.
“I’ve never seen myself like this before,” she said. “I feel sexy.”
In fact, two strangers interviewed on the show said they would “snog” her, while someone else said they would marry her because she appeared to be “approachable.”
But despite Mel now turning heads, she rejected the new her, saying she felt she looked like her mother.
Her real-life makeover may have lasted only a short while, but the video of Mel’s transformation has gone viral, getting over 300,000 views on YouTube since she first appeared on the show.
A woman who went whale watching off the coast of Baja California, Mexico was given a rude greeting by one of the ocean’s biggest inhabinants.
The footage below shows the moment Chelsea Crawford was hit straight in the face by the tail of a giant whale.
Understandably, Crawford was left shocked and not knowing what to do. Her good friend, Jordyn Rivet, however, reacted quicker than Crawford and caught the entire thing on cell phone.
A few hours after being uploaded on YouTube, the video has gone viral.
“We went what watching on the Baja this weekend, and unfortunately, Chelsea got smacked in the head by a whale’s tail,” Rivet wrote on the video description. “Luckily, she was fine and we got it on video.”
Source: New York Daily News, Youtube
A Rhode Island local television reporter was fired for showing off during a lighthearted piece on auditions for “America’s Got Talent.”
Julie Tremmel, 36, was on air for WJAR-TV when she decided to perform a handstand. Days later, she was fired.
“I was terminated without cause from WJAR and my Union and I are fighting it through the grievance and arbitration process in our Contract with the Station [sic],” Tremmel wrote to GoLocalProv in an email.
Tremmel first became the center of media attention last year when she did a piece on how to survive a bear attack. The report went viral and made her rise to Internet fame. The how-to viral report was covered by outlets such as the Huffington Post, Buzzfeed, and was even featured on Jimmy Fallon’s Tonight Show.
The piece was popular with the public, but not with some of the station’s senior staff.
Jim Taricani, WJAR’s veteran investigative reporter, called the bear piece a “smudge on our station’s reputation.”
“… Some TV reporters like to draw attention to themselves… its an insult to most of us trying to be professional,” Taricani wrote on Facebook.
But Tremmel has garnered online support. A “Support News Reporter Julie Tremmel” Facebook page has 362 "likes" so far, and an online “Bring Julie Tremmel Back to NBC 10” petition so far has 272 signatures.
“I don’t see how, if you’re doing a story on ‘America’s Got Talent’ auditions, that this is out of line,” wrote a supporter on Facebook.
Others have argued Tremmel appeals to a younger audience.
“Bring her back, she was a spice of life to your aging news cast,” wrote another supporter on the petition’s web page. "You need to bring in the younger generation and get some spice because they are going to turn to Internet and your older audience is going to die off. Was no need to let her go about the humor she brings to wjar [sic]."
Sources: Facebook, iPetitions, Go Local Prov News
One man couldn't figure out why he kept oversleeping. Every night he would set his alarm. And every morning, the alarm wouldn't go off on time.
As it turns out, no one likes the sound of their alarm clock going off in the morning, not even dogs.
A video posted on Reddit shows a Boxer hitting the snooze button with his paw as soon as he hears his owner's alarm clock go off.
“So today I found out why I have been waking up late. My boxer Kermit has been snoozing my alarm, this alarm has a snooze button that has to be held to activate. He apparently is aware of this feature haha!” Reddit user davewtameloncamp wrote.
The alarm clock is no match for the persistent dog.
Sources: Daily Mail, Reddit
Conspiracy websites have been touting a video that claims to show unusually high radiation readings on a beach in San Francisco.
The video (below) was uploaded to YouTube on Dec. 24, 2013 and has since gone viral with over half a million views.
The video shows an unidentified man measuring radiation readings at different spots on a beach in San Mateo County. When the man walks towards the water, his Geiger counter spikes from the 30s to the 150s.
However, a Berkeley nuclear engineering professor Edward Morse says the reading has no connection to the radiation that leaked from a nuclear reactor in Fukushima, Japan (video below).
“Someone going around with a Geiger counter is likely to discover these great variations in levels from time to time,” Morse told CBS San Francisco. “That’s absolutely no correlation with anything that happened in Fukushima.”
Morse then demonstrated how easy it is to spike a Geiger counter with high radiation readings from a pile of rocks.
Local government officials are performing tests at the beaches, but have not found hazardous radiation levels.
“It’s not something that we feel is an immediate public health concern,” Dean Peterson, a county environmental health director, told Half Moon Bay Review. “We’re not even close to the point of saying that any of this is from Fukushima.”
However, the conspiracy website Infowars.com has wasted no time in trying to create a US government scheme:
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and state Department of Public Health are now investigating the cause of the radiation and more information is expected to be released this week.
While officials will almost certainly downplay the situation in order to prevent panic, it’s important to remember that genuine public health crises are virtually always preceded by government duplicity.
Another conspiracy site PreppersWorldUSA.com announced:
Background radiation is 30 CPM. Near the ocean it’s 150 CPM. The fine mist coming from the ocean waves seems to be what makes the Geiger Counter jump. More thorough readings need to be done! Where is the useless government/media?