“Big Red” quarterback Trent Mays admitted in text messages that he used his hand to penetrate a 16-year-old girl and also sent messages to his buddies trying to persuade them to cover up what had happened.
Mays, 17, is one of two Steubenville, Ohio, high school football players accused of raping a West Virginia girl last summer. The other defendant is 16-year-old wide receiver Ma’Lik Richmond. Both players have been charged. Mays is also facing a charge of child pornography because he took photos of the victim that eventually leaked to social media.
“Just say she came to your house and passed out,” Mays texted the friend who hosted the party where the incident occurred. Defense lawyers for the young men are saying that the sex was consensual, but witnesses have said that girl was so wasted that she vomited and had difficulty walking and talking, according to The Daily News.
She also sent text messages that implied she was drugged. “Swear to God I don’t remember doing anything with them,” the girl wrote in a text message to a boy who supposedly witnessed the assaults. “I wasn’t being a slut. They were taking advantage of me.”
The case has received a lot of attention because some people have claimed that authorities are letting other players who saw what happened off the hook because high school football is such a huge part of the local community. One judge and one prosecutor were forced to recuse themselves from the case because they had connections to the team.
Outside of the courthouse on Thursday, two dozen protesters were holding signs in support of the girl and wearing the masks that have become the symbol of hacktivist group Anonymous. Earlier this year, the group posted a picture of the defendants carrying the girl by her ankles and wrists. If convicted, Mays and Richmond could be imprisoned in a juvenile jail until they turn 21.
Source: The Daily News
The government is trying to encourage kids to exercise by contacting them in a way that is especially appropriate for the younger generation - text messages.
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) is spending $379,500 on a Baylor University study to see if encouraging adolescents to engage in physical activities via text is a reliable strategy. The “Txt Me: Texting Motivational Messages Encouraging Adolescent PA” (physical activity) study began in January of 2011 and will run through the end of the year.
“The physical activity to be promoted is walking, which has broad appeal and can be performed as part of usual-day activities,” according to the Clinicaltrials.gov description of the study.
The grant for the study reads: “This application will test the feasibility of promoting PA to 14-17 year olds using text messages tailored to constructs from Self Determination Theory.”
As part of the study, adolescents receive pedometers to measure their steps and are also sent prompts for physical activity and motivational text messages.
“Promoting PA to adolescents in a manner that is familiar, convenient, and acceptable has the potential to increase PA, thus reducing risk of both obesity and chronic disease, such as certain cancers,” the NIH grant description says.
The project’s leader, Dr. Deborah Thompson of the Baylor College of Medicine, has not revealed details about the exact language that is incorporated into the texts, CNS News reported.
Inquiries directed to the NIH about the “TXT Me" study elicited the following response:
“NIH research addresses the full spectrum of human health across all populations of Americans. Research into unhealthy human behaviors that are estimated to be the proximal cause of more than half of the disease burden in the U.S. will continue to be an important area of research supported by NIH.”
Codey Everhart, 22, is accused of allegedly raping a 13-year-old girl in Lake Lotawana, Missouri on Saturday.
According to the Kansas City Star, he sent several texts to the victim's mother stating: "Omg sorry plz don't call cops" and "'Omg im so sorry ... it was the biggest mistake IV ever made" and "plz I will do whatever u want I’m so sorry."
Everhart allegedly knocked on the teen's window on Saturday morning after her mother had gone to work.
After the girl let him inside to use the bathroom, he allegedly raped and sodomized her, according to court documents.
When she was able to escape, the unidentified girl ran to a neighbor's house for help.
Everhart reportedly told police that he knew the girl was 13, claimed she invited him inside to "make out," but denied having sex with her.
However, Everhart reportedly sent the damning texts to the girl's mother, whom he begged to call him because he feared losing custody of his child.
Everhart was charged with two counts of first-degree statutory rape and one count of forcible rape in the attack. He is being held on a $250,000 bond.