A 14-year-old Dutch girl was arrested in Rotterdam, Netherlands, Monday after she tweeted a terror threat to American Airlines on Sunday.
Twitter shut down the account @QueensDemetriax_ after the girl, named Sarah, tweeted, “@AmericanAir hello my name is Ibrahim and I am from Afghanistan. I am part of Al Qaeda and on June 1 I am gonna do something really big bye.”
“Sarah, we take these threats very seriously," American Airlines responded. "Your IP address and details will be forwarded to security and the FBI."
The girl then changed her public name from Sarah to demetria and tweeted from the now-deleted account:
- “I need a lawyer. Any lawyers on here?”
- “At least I have something to tell at school tomorrow lol”
- “Omg someone’s knocking on the door. Maybe it’s the FBI omgg”
- “It was my friend not me”
- “Why would I blow up one of your planes, I have my own jet.”
Before the account was shut down, @QueenDemetriax_ allegedly gained 30,000 new followers, according to the Daily Mail.
"I always wanted to be famous," she tweeted Sunday, "but I meant like Demi Lovato famous, not Osama bin laden famous."
The airline's response to her tweet has since been deleted.
“At American, the safety of our passengers and crew is our number one priority,” American later said in a statement. “We take security matters very seriously and work with authorities on a case by case basis.”
A Midtown office tower worth more than $500 million was, up until Friday, owned by Iranian companies.
However, after people sued Iran for damages over terrorist attacks, including those of Sept. 11, Manhattan Federal Judge Katherine Forrest ruled that the companies must forfeit the Fifth Ave. building.
In her written opinion, Forrest stated that because the companies acted as fronts for the Iranian government, under certain federal laws they “are” the government of Iran.
Forrest also ruled that six more properties in Queens, Texas, California, Virginia and Maryland should all be forfeited.
The terrorism victims’ claims draw from a 2012 ruling in which federal judge George Daniels ordered Iran, Hezbollah, and Osama Bin Laden, amongst others, to pay victims more than $6 billion in damages. In a 2011 default judgment, Daniels also found Iran and other parties liable for the Sept. 11 attacks.
In a separate decision in September of last year, Forrest said the feds have the right to seize the 490-foot building in question, 650 Fifth Ave., partly because of money laundering acts.
While it is still unclear how various claims to the property will be sorted out, the feds have said that their aim will likely be to sell the building and use the proceeds to pay the victims some of the damages owed.
The building was constructed in 1979 by a nonprofit group connected to the shah of Iran.
Photo Source: http://www.palingranit.com
In what may have seemed like a reassuring statement to a European audience, President Barack Obama said he’s more worried about “the prospect of a nuclear weapon going off in Manhattan” than the threat to national security posed by Russia.
“Russia’s actions are a problem,” Obama said in The Hague, Netherlands. "They don’t pose the number one national security threat to the United States. I continue to be much more concerned when it comes to our security with the prospect of a nuclear weapon going off in Manhattan.”
The White House assured the public that Obama was not talking about an imminent terror threat to New York City, according to the New York Daily News.
“The president was not discussing intelligence when he said, ‘I continue to be much more concerned when it comes to our security with the prospect of a nuclear weapon going off in Manhattan,’” said White House National Security Staff spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden.
“For years, the NYPD has recognized the fact that Manhattan is considered a potential terror target,” said Deputy Police Commissioner Stephen Davis. "We continue to maintain an appropriate level of security according to ongoing threat assessments. There are currently no known threats of this nature against the city."
The president was responding to a question about whether Russia's taking over Crimea proved Republican Mitt Romney was right in 2012 when he called Moscow America’s top geopolitical foe.
"There's no question but that the president's naiveté with regards to Russia, and his faulty judgment about Russia's intentions and objectives, has led to a number of foreign policy challenges that we face," Romney said Sunday on CBS' "Face the Nation."
"And, unfortunately,” Romney continued, “not having anticipated Russia's intentions, the president wasn't able to shape the kinds of events that may have been able to prevent the kinds of circumstances that you're seeing in the Ukraine, as well as the things that you're seeing in Syria."
11Sen. Chuck Schumer Proposes Taking Countries That Don’t Check Passports Off The U.S. Visa Waiver Program
Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., announced a plan Sunday to block countries from the U.S. Visa Waiver Program (VWP) if they don’t check air passenger passports against the Interpol database of stolen passports.
The VWP allows foreign citizens to travel in the U.S. without a visa for up to 90 days.
Schumer says the legislation he plans to introduce Monday will close a “gaping loophole” which missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 has shined light on.
Two passengers on the flight, which went missing March 8, were traveling on stolen passports. If Malaysia Airlines officials had checked those passports against the Interpol database they would have found they were stolen.
"It is shocking to me that in the post-9/11 era, when we have seen how much damage just a few bad individuals can cause, that countries would choose not to ensure that the people who are flying in and out of their country are actually who they say they are," Schumer said Sunday.
Only five of Interpol’s 190 members countries routinely use the database, New York Daily News reported.
Those countries are the U.S., Britain, France, Switzerland and the United Arab Emirates.
The Transnational Regulation of Identity of Passports (TRIP) Act would give countries five years to begin using the Interpol database to screen passengers on international flights before they are block from the VWP. Eventually citizens from those countries would not even be able to secure tourist and business visas in the U.S.
"With this bill I am confident the number of countries using Interpol's database to make sure that international flights are safe would go way up," he said. "The technology exists to stop the bad guys before they board our planes and enter our country, so there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't put pressure on other countries to use it."
A suicide bomber in Somalia prematurely detonated explosives in his car Saturday before reaching his target.
The man was attempting to park his car near a popular Mogadishu hotel when the explosives went off.
The man died. No one else was injured by the blast, according to Somali Police Capt. Mohamed Hussein.
The attack is believed to have been orchestrated by the al-Qaeda-linked militant group al-Shabab.
The same group detonated a car bomb at a teashop near Somalia’s intelligence agency headquarters last month, killing at least 12.
A Vietnamese search plane has located fragments of an aircraft believed to be missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 in waters off southern Vietnam.
The found fragments include a composite inner door and a piece of the tail. The location of the fragments was about 50 miles south-southwest of Tho Chu island, reports The Blaze.
Malaysia Airlines has not received confirmation regarding the suspected debris, The Wall Street Journal reports.
Vietnam’s ministry of information and communication stated they were unable to land near the objects to investigate them further because of darkening conditions. They will resume identification processes Monday morning.
Multiple countries have joined in the search for the missing aircraft, including China, the United States, Malaysia, and Vietnam.
The investigation into exactly what caused the plane, traveling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, to lose communication with air traffic controllers has raised questions whether terrorism is a possible factor.
Two of the passengers on board the plane were using stolen passports. It has been reported by The Mirror that the passengers purchased their tickets together.
"Whilst it is too soon to speculate about any connection between these stolen passports and the missing plane, it is clearly of great concern that any passenger was able to board an international flight using a stolen passport listed in Interpol’s databases," Interpol Secretary General Ronald Noble said in a statement.
Malaysia's police chief, Inspector-General Khalid Abu Bakar, has said that police investigators “don’t dismiss the possibility” of terrorism, but do not consider it the most likely cause for flight MH370 disappearing.
Three Georgia men were arrested for attempting to buy pipe bombs and thermite in a plot to take down power grids and water treatment plants.
Agents say the sophisticated terror plot was meant to incite other militias to fight the government as well.
If the men hadn’t attempted to buy explosives from an undercover FBI agent, they probably would have been successful, agents testified at a court hearing Friday.
Brian Edward Cannon, 36, and Cory Robert Williamson, 28, appeared in court Friday and were denied bond. The third man, Terry Eugene Peace, 45, will make his first court appearance Monday.
An FBI source said Cannon planned to create mass hysteria that would push the government to declare martial law, which would then encourage other militias to join the fight.
"Cannon claimed too many militias were in a defensive mode and in order to get them out of the defensive posture, actions would have to take place to force martial law to be declared," the agent's statement said.
They are accused of chatting online about carrying out an act of terrorism against the government in February. These conversations were monitored by the FBI.
U.S. Attorney Sally Yates says the case is a reminder that terrorism can be homegrown.
"You can see that the plans that they had are really scary," Yates said. "There's no indication that they would not have been successful, and that's not the kind of thing where we can wait and see."
Chairman of the House Committee on Homeland Security Rep. Mike McCaul, R-Texas, told Fox News Sunday there is a "high probably" that a bomb will go off at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
“I’ve never seen a greater threat in my lifetime,” McCaul told Fox News Sunday host Chris Wallace.
“What really poses the greatest damage or threat, if you will, in my judgment is the proximity and the location of where these games are being held,” McCaul said. “They’re being right, dead-center in the middle of what has been a historic battle-ground between Russia and Chechen rebels that have now spun off into an Islamic radical militant group.”
“There’s a high degree of probability that something will detonate, something will go off,” he added. “But I do think it’s probably, most likely going to happen outside of the Ring of Steel and the Olympic Village.”
“You’re saying, as the Chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, you think there is a high probability there will be some explosion outside the Ring of Steel?” Wallace asked.
“Well, I hope I’m wrong in this assessment,” McCaul responded. “But you’re talking about an area of the world where suicide bombers go off all the time, and the fact is right now, Chris, the eyes of the world right are upon this Olympics. And the Chechen extremists know this, and they want to make a global statement. They want to make a jihad statement, and what better time to do it than right now?”
“Remember,” he added, “they don’t have to hit in the Ring of Steel at the Olympic village. As long as they hit somewhere in Russia, to them that’s a victory.”
“We’ve already had two suicide bombers go off outside the Olympic Village,” he said.
Video of a young boy believed to be four years old and firing rounds from an assault rifle has surfaced online.
The boy is seen pulling the trigger of an AK-47, a gun much larger than him, as his father stands behind him. The gun seems almost too heavy for him as it’s propped up on a street barricade and its recoil knocks him back.
His father is heard offering his son words of encouragement in Arabic. Shouts of “Allahu Akbar,” Arabic for “God is Greater,” can also be heard.
The boy is later seen in the video smiling and talking with the adults filming him.
Officials say it is further evidence of jihadists grooming children to become soldiers, according to the Daily Mail.
Images of young children, between the ages of nine and 15, being trained to use weapons in a jihad training camp have been circulating on the web as of late. International experts say the use of child soldiers is a trend seen in the Syrian civil war.
“Syria is unique to any other conflict we’ve worked in over the last 20 years,” Kate Adams, policy and advocacy manager at London-based charity War Child told FoxNews.com. “Children do seem to have been targeted by both sides, more than we might necessarily see in other conflicts. Children are being used almost as pawns of the way and not just as collateral damage.”
Children are not only being trained as soldiers, but thousands have been casualties of the country’s civil war so far. Nearly 130,000 children have died because of the country’s bombings and use of chemical weapons, Fox News reports.
Adams told FoxNews.com that younger children run a higher risk than older children of being manipulated to become soldiers.
“I was in the region recently and spoke to two brothers aged 5 and 8,” Adams said. “We asked them, ‘What do you want for your future?’ The five-year-old said he wanted a gun so he can fight for his country, yet the 8-year-old said he wanted a laptop and to go back home You can see that the very young children are very impressionable to this kind of violence, and the social damage that this is going to cause inter-generationally could be huge and incredibly wrong.”
Source: Daily Mail, FoxNews.com
In addition to the metal detectors, TSA-like pat-downs and massive video surveillance at Super Bowl XLVIII, there will also be members of the US military and hidden snipers.
“If you have an active shooter or you have anyone who may have a bomb, snipers have a better angle then anyone who is on the ground to actually hit that target," Former FBI agent Jonathan Gilliam told My 9 NJ (video below).
"It’s an entire team that communicates," added Gilliam. "You have individuals who are at high altitudes inside the arena and then you have individuals that are on the ground moving in and around the crowd."
My 9 NJ also defended the snipers at Met Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. with this assurance: "The snipers will just be doing their job so fans can have an enjoyably safe experience."
According to CBS News, Super Bowl security also includes hundreds of US military, law enforcement and federal agencies. There will also be six thousand more personnel outside the stadium.
While CBS News touted the military presence, the news network failed to mention the Posse Comitatus Act, which does not allow the US Army to be used to enforce laws on US citizens except when "authorized by the Constitution or Act of Congress."