19-year-old Linda Perez fell into a coma following breast augmentation surgery in August of last year, and today, the young woman is unable to move and speak. Now, while doctors say she may never fully recover, they have allowed her family to bring her home.
An hour after her breast augmentation surgery last year, the then-18-year-old suffered brain damage and slipped into a coma for a few weeks. Six months later, Perez is extremely thin and frail, and her family must take care of her around the clock.
“I’m sick that she can’t be like she used to be,” said her mother, Mariela Diaz, to the Miami Herald.
Diaz says that her daughter has had small victories since the surgery, and although doctors say that she may never recover from the brain damage, Diaz and the rest of her family are all holding out hope.
“I still have hope because she is alive and she’s home,” said Diaz.
Still, the road has not and will not be easy. Perez is apparently aware of her condition and has fallen into a depression because of what happened to her.
“She goes into depression and crying,” said Diaz. “She sees that she cannot walk, and when she realizes what happened to her she cries.”
The family reportedly plans to file a medical malpractice suit against the cosmetic surgery center where Perez underwent the procedure.
Bruce Jenner, star of Keeping Up with the Kardashians, has allegedly had surgery to flatten his Adam’s Apple.
The star was caught last week leaving the Beverly Hills Surgical Center with a bandage over his throat. Though Jenner has not confirmed the surgery, the bandage seems like a dead give away.
A number of pictures have surfaced from Jenner’s recent visit to the surgical center, but the removal of his Adam’s Apple isn’t the only shocking detail. The pictures also reveal a more feminine Jenner.
Recently, there have been rumors that Jenner may be undergoing a sex change. The claims began when Jenner announced his desire to have a laryngeal shave, which is normally the first step men take in proceeding with a sex change.
While the claims have little foundation, Jenner’s recent pictures suggest that the rumors might be fact.
“The boys don’t think their father is trying to become a woman and simply laugh at rumors,” an insider told Radar. “They [Brandon and Brody] do believe that Bruce became more conscience of his physical appearance and how he looked after Keeping Up with the Kardashians premiered."
Jenner’s children blame their step-mother, Kris, for all the plastic surgery he’s had over the years, according to the same insider.
The South was hit with unusual winter weather this week that virtually shut down cities like Atlanta, Charleston, and Birmingham and caused a string of problems for people all over. Motorists were left completely stranded on highways and were forced to either sit in their cars for hours on end or abandon their vehicles to walk miles home. For one Birmingham brain surgeon who was called from one hospital to another to perform a life saving surgery, sitting in his car or not going was not an option, so he decided to walk.
Dr. Zenko Hrynkiw was called to perform a life-saving brain operation on Tuesday morning at a different hospital, but when he left the hospital he was already at, he only made it a few blocks before he was completely stuck on the road with no movement in sight.
Nurses and officials at the other hospital tried to keep in contact with him through the morning because they desperately needed him to come in for the surgery, so while on the phone with the charge nurse, Dr. Hrynkiw decided he was left with no other option but to walk.
"The cell service was bad so we were fading in and out," said Steve Davis, charge nurse at the time. "At one point, I heard him say, 'I'm walking.'"
Davis says he called police to see if they could escort him to the hospital, but authorities didn’t have any luck locating him. After a few hours of walking the six miles to the other hospital, Dr. Hrynkiw eventually made it.
"He finally called me and said, 'Where's the patient? What's the status?'" said Davis. "He spoke to the family and went off to surgery."
Davis says that Dr. Hrynkiw is their only brain surgeon and without him, the patient probably wouldn’t be here today.
"Without the surgery, the patient would have most likely died," said Davis. "But he is doing well. This just speaks volumes to the dedication of the man. When I saw him, all I could say is 'You are a good man.'"
A Portland jury ruled that an Oregon boy who lost both of his testicles during a surgery would not be awarded any money as a result of his trial against Oregon Health & Science University. The boy’s parents had sued OHSU, where the boy received his treatment, for $1.4 million to cover medical expenses and the emotional trauma that would result from the surgery. The jury presiding over the case ultimately found that the OHSU surgeons were permitted to carry out the procedure, and that the loss of testicles was simply an unfortunate consequence.
The surgery in question took place in 2009 when the boy was 11 months old. According to Oregon Live, he was born with Rubinstein-Taybi Syndrome, a rare condition that leads to lower IQs and delays in speaking, as well as a higher likelihood of having undescended testicles.
Prior to the surgery, the boy’s father had signed a consent form allowing doctors to relocate the boy’s undescended testicles in a process that involved two surgeries. The doctors, however, decided to relocate the boy’s testicles using a process that only required one surgery. Because the doctors only had written permission to undergo the procedure involving two surgeries and the testicles were ultimately lost, the boy’s parents sued for medical malpractice.
OSHU attorney Nikola Jones argued that the loss of the boy’s testicles was a “very unfortunate incident that resulted from the inherent risks of surgery.” Jones also claimed that the boy’s parents had given verbal consent to the doctors to act in the child’s best interest, and that the doctors believed the one surgery would actually put the boy at a lower risk.
Jurors ultimately found that OSHU did not put the boy at risk or undergo a procedure without the consent of the boy’s parents. According to the Register Guard, the boy is required to undergo twice-monthly testosterone injections beginning at age 11 to ensure proper growth as a man. He is currently five years old and in kindergarten.
Stacey Galette sued Winthrop-University Hospital on Long Island and three doctors after complications from laparoscopic surgery led to the amputation of her legs and partial deafness.
She won the suit, and has been awarded $62 million by a New York City jury, reports New York Post.
The breakdown of awarded money came to $58 million for pain and suffering and another $4 million in special damages. The trial took 12 weeks in state Supreme Court in Brooklyn.
In 2009, Galette went to Winthrop-University Hospital for a laparoscopic removal of an ectopic pregnancy. Her attorney, Sanford Rubenstein, argued a punctured colon during the procedure led to infections and blood poisoning, reports WABC.
A hospital spokeswoman said that doctors diagnosed the complication quickly and treated it as best they could but her condition deteriorated quickly. Efforts to save her life were successful but left her disabled.
A 12-year-old boy in China may never see properly again after his teacher ordered classmates to slap him 40 times for not doing his homework.
“After being slapped, the teacher then made me do push-ups and did not allow me to eat lunch,” said the unnamed boy. The teacher allegedly told the students that whoever made the loudest slap would win a prize.
The boy claims that later on in the day, he realized that he was having difficult seeing out of his left eye.
The boy was forced to undergo surgery to repair the damage done by the slapping, and the boy’s mother says her son’s eye may never work correctly again.
“I didn’t know the damage was so severe,” said the mother. “The doctor had told me my child’s eye might not be cured.”
Reports claim that the teacher, “insisted that the punishment helps pupils progress in class,” but it’s clear that this punishment did irreparable damage.
The school reportedly compensated the family 30,000 Yuan, which is close to $5,000, and the money has already been spent on the operation.
After World War II, the U.S. government decided that the best way to treat at least 2000 veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder was to give them a frontal lobotomy.
According to the Wall Street Journal, newly-uncovered documents reveal the bizarre practice was considered “psychiatric care” for American servicemen.
“They got the notion they were going to come to give me a lobotomy,” Roman Tritz, a World War II pilot told the Wall Street Journal. “To hell with them.”
Tritz recalls fighting off several orderlies at a U.S. veterans hospital, but they came for him again on July 1, 1953 and part of his brain was surgically removed by doctors, right before he turned 30.
“They just wanted to ruin my head, it seemed to me,” added Tritz, who is now 90 years old. “Somebody wanted to.”
The Wall Street Journal cited government records, inter-office correspondence and letters that showed veterans, who were diagnosed with homosexuality, schizophrenia, depression and psychosis, had the primitive brain surgery done to them between April 1947 and Sept. 1950.
Several VA medical professionals opposed the brutal procedure, which was done by jamming an ice pick-like medical instrument into a service member’s brain via his eye socket.
The main advocate of the strange surgery was Dr. Walter J. Freeman, who once boasted: “A world that once seemed the abode of misery, cruelty and hate is now radiant with sunshine and kindness to [veterans].”
In response to the Wall Street Journal report, the Department of Veterans Affairs claimed it did not have any records of the lobotomies and tried to downplay the surgery, which left men as overgrown children who could not care for themselves; some even died during the procedures.
“In the late 1940s and into the 1950s, VA and other physicians throughout the United States and the world debated the utility of lobotomies,” the Department of Veterans Affairs’ statement read. “The procedure became available to severely ill patients who had not improved with other treatments. Within a few years, the procedure disappeared within VA, and across the United States, as safer and more effective treatments were developed.”
However, the procedure wasn't just “available,” it was forced on many vets, including Tritz.
The Army Times reports that in addition to the lobotomies, VA hospital staff would spray veterans with powerful jets of alternating hot and cold water to “stimulate their nerves.”
The VA’s use of lobotomies was apparently known among medical professionals in the late 1940s and early 1950s, and even cited in medical papers, but was not widely reported on until now.
St. Louis woman Ashley Depew was forced to have reconstructive facial surgery after becoming yet another victim of the “knockout” game.
Depew was picking up a friend outside of The Trophy Room when she was attacked and punched in the face. Her case went viral when she posted a picture of her injured eye to Facebook.
Brigette Ulmer-Loynd, Depew’s dance teacher, posted a warning to Facebook asking that no one fall victim to the game.
“These groups of teenagers will punch out anybody, then scatter to run,” Ulmer-Loynd wrote. “Please don’t be a victim and always be aware of your surroundings!”
The knockout game has been a problem in St. Louis since 2011, and his since become an epidemic across the nation. Just last week St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay arrived at a bloody knockout scene, where one teenager revealed he had participated in 300 knockout games.
Last week, Bill O’Reilly suggested that the attacks may be racially motivated, noting that the majority of them are carried out by young black men.
“They’re sold a bill of goods by the civil rights people that white society is the fault,” O’Reilly said. “Because you’re unhappy, it’s the whites doing it to you and so they’re whacking whites!”
Doctors in China have given a teenage girl a new face after successfully growing it on her breast.
Xu Jianmei, 17, was severely burned in a house fire at just 5 years old, and up until the face transplant, she says she was unable to properly smile. The girl, who is from a small Chinese fishing village, was never properly treated for her burns at the time of the fire 12 years ago because her parents couldn’t afford the medical bills.
Using a blood vessel from her leg and a water-filled balloon to expand her skin, doctors formed the face and grew it on the girl’s breast for several months until it was big enough to fit on her face.
"With her new face she will be able to express herself in a more precise way. She will even be able to blush when her emotions change, but it will take a long time," said surgeon Jiang Chenhong. "First, we took a piece of blood vessel fascia from her thigh and implanted it in her chest. Then we inserted a skin expander beneath the part of skin where the blood vessel fascia was planted, so that the part could expand and produce enough skin for her new face.”
The eight-hour procedure leaves the girl with much scarring and bruising, but doctors say that she will recover within a few weeks.
Similar procedures have been done in China, most notably when a car accident victim had a new nose grown on his forehead.
In a rare defect, twin girl Asree Gul was born with an extra head attached to her scalp. Although she would likely have died quickly from the deformity, surgeons in her homeland of Afghanistan successfully removed the extra head and baby Asree is now recovering.
Ahmad Obaid Mojadidi, chief surgeon in the operation, said, “Her mother gave birth to twins, two girls. One girl was in good health but the other had an abnormality. She had an extra head attached to her head. We separated the extra head from her body.”
Asree was released from the hospital on Wednesday, and the forecast looks good after the successful surgery.
The operation took place in the poor city of Jalalabad in the Chaparhar district, and was reportedly the most complicated operation ever to be performed in the city’s hospital. Doctors had to take extra caution because the extra skull was attached to vital blood vessels.
The hospital provided the surgery free of charge because Asree’s parents had no way of paying for it themselves.
Asree’s father, Nematullah, admitted that he had doubts that his daughter would survive. He said, “The doctors saved her life. I thank them.”
Asree’s extra head was most likely the result of a potential triplet, but the third baby did not develop correctly. The condition is called craniopagus parasiticus, and one famous case occurred in 2005 to an Egyptian baby named Manar Maged.
Although Asree’s twin was born healthy, she reportedly had trouble sleeping, possibly due to her sister’s condition.
Although Afghanistan is a wartorn country with few of the perks of modern medical care, hospitals have improved over the past decade due to donations from foreign countries. Without this aid, it is unclear whether Asree would have received her needed operation.
Asree’s parents are farmers, and her name means “new flower.”