“Big Red” quarterback Trent Mays admitted in text messages that he used his hand to penetrate a 16-year-old girl and also sent messages to his buddies trying to persuade them to cover up what had happened.
Mays, 17, is one of two Steubenville, Ohio, high school football players accused of raping a West Virginia girl last summer. The other defendant is 16-year-old wide receiver Ma’Lik Richmond. Both players have been charged. Mays is also facing a charge of child pornography because he took photos of the victim that eventually leaked to social media.
“Just say she came to your house and passed out,” Mays texted the friend who hosted the party where the incident occurred. Defense lawyers for the young men are saying that the sex was consensual, but witnesses have said that girl was so wasted that she vomited and had difficulty walking and talking, according to The Daily News.
She also sent text messages that implied she was drugged. “Swear to God I don’t remember doing anything with them,” the girl wrote in a text message to a boy who supposedly witnessed the assaults. “I wasn’t being a slut. They were taking advantage of me.”
The case has received a lot of attention because some people have claimed that authorities are letting other players who saw what happened off the hook because high school football is such a huge part of the local community. One judge and one prosecutor were forced to recuse themselves from the case because they had connections to the team.
Outside of the courthouse on Thursday, two dozen protesters were holding signs in support of the girl and wearing the masks that have become the symbol of hacktivist group Anonymous. Earlier this year, the group posted a picture of the defendants carrying the girl by her ankles and wrists. If convicted, Mays and Richmond could be imprisoned in a juvenile jail until they turn 21.
Source: The Daily News
In 2013, Brian Cooper was accused of sexually assaulting and killing Alisha Bromfield.
Convicting Cooper of sexual assault proved to be fairly simple. Unfortunately, the jury could not decide on the murder charge because he was drunk during the attack.
Bromfield's family is now trying to overturn a Wisconsin law which prevents a first-degree murder conviction when someone is drunk because "a killer's intent can't be proved if intoxicated," reports The Daily Mail.
Cooper allegedly strangled Bromfield because she refused to rekindle their relationship.
After Bromfield died, Cooper sexually assaulted her body. Bromfield was six months pregnant.
Both Bromfield and her unborn baby girl died in the attack.
According to Jury foreman Mark A. Hagen, the jury's main disagreement was over the meaning of a line in the instructions they were given.
The instructions read: "If the defendant was so intoxicated that the defendant did not intend to kill Alisha Bromfield, you must find the defendant not guilty of first-degree intentional homicide."
Cooper has never denied killing Bromfield, and his defense at trial was that the alcohol he consumed inhibited his ability to form intent.
"This bill is to eliminate voluntary intoxication as a defense for criminal liability," the post read.
The petition gained 6,300 signatures in 48 hours. It will go to the House, Senate, and the Governor of Wisconsin.
"Being drunk is no excuse for murder. We are trying to get a law passed that amends voluntary intoxication that it cannot be used as a defense for murdering," Sherry Anicich, Bromfield's mother, told CBS Chicago.
Cooper will be retried on murder charges for the deaths of Bromfield and her unborn child on May 5.
Detroit police officer Deon Nunlee is accused of sexually assaulting a 31-year-old woman who called 911 to report being attacked by her boyfriend.
Nunlee faces three counts of second-degree criminal sexual conduct and one count each of assault with intent to commit sexual penetration, and misconduct in office, reports the Detroit Free Press.
Prosecutors allege that Nunlee and his partner responded to a domestic disturbance complaint at a home on Detroit’s northwest side at around 3 a.m. on October 30, 2013.
A woman claims that after the officers arrived, one remained downstairs with her boyfriend while the other took her upstairs to a bedroom. She says the officer then assaulted her in the bedroom, and told her he would return later that morning, according to the Beaumont Enterprise.
Nunlee did not return.
Police Chief James Craig said Nunlee was connected to the assault through DNA evidence.
"This is the type of misconduct that should never happen," Craig said. "This does not reflect the work the Detroit Police Department does each and every day."
The assault was reported to police the next day by the woman.
Nunlee’s partner is not being charged in the case and is believed to have done nothing wrong, says Craig.
Craig stated it is common to separate parties at domestic dispute situations, and keep them at a safe distance. But in this case they were in different areas of the home.
For officer safety, Craig said, “an officer should never lose line of sight of their partner.”
Nunlee has not denied the allegations, but chose to remain silent after being read his Miranda rights.
Father Who Repeatedly Raped His Daughter Since She Was Three And Fled To Germany For 10 Years Finally Goes To Jail
After being on the run for nearly 10 years, a father who repeatedly raped his daughter over a long period of time has finally been convicted.
Frank Hertel, 51, was sentenced to 19 to 95 years in prison by Ohio’s Delaware County Common Pleas Court after he pleaded guilty to rape and gross sexual imposition. His daughter Heather Orr, now 31 years old, started being raped by Hertel when she was just three years old. According to Orr’s claims, her father said he was “teaching her how to express love.”
After years of abuse, Hertel was finally arrested and set to go to trial when Orr was 18. Just days before the trial, Hertel, Orr’s mother Judy, and Orr’s brother were able to flee to Germany. Reports claim that the couple lived using fake identities and ran a bar and grill.
For years, Orr, who was now left alone, struggled to have a normal life. In 2009, after years of building up the courage to search for her father, Orr decided to run an Internet search for him. When she typed her father’s name into Google, she found an article about her grandfather being arrested and charged with $1.2 million in tax fraud. She decided to contact some of the people who commented in the article, and eventually, she was able to discover the location where her father was hiding in Germany. He was captured shortly after.
Now, Hertel will likely spend the rest of his life in jail. During court proceedings, Hertel told the judge that he was sorry for what he did.
“It's not the life that I wanted my daughter to have,” said Hertel. “I wanted her life to be perfect."
Orr says that every new day is a struggle to be happy.
"I have lost my entire family," said Orr. "I often wonder, if I hadn't found him, what would have happened."
The woman, now a married mother, says she is planning to write a book about her lifelong hardships.
A state lawmaker in Maine has issued a statement saying he regrets certain comments he made in the past as a champion of ultra-conservative causes in the state. Rep. Lawrence E. Lockman, Republican, issued the statement Wednesday, according to the Portland Press Herald.
The statement came on the heels of a blog post, carried by the Bangor Daily News, by activist and columnist Mike Tipping. The post chronicled a history of untoward comments made by Lockman in the '80s and '90s.
In 1987, for example, Lockman implied that HIV and AIDS could be spread by mosquitoes and dirty bed sheets. That same year, in a letter he wrote to the Lewiston Daily Sun, Lockman argued against funding for AIDS education.
“In the overwhelming majority of cases, people are dying because of their addiction to sodomy,” he wrote. “They are dying because progressive, enlightened, tolerant people in politics and in medicine have assured the public that the practice of sodomy is a legitimate alternative lifestyle, rather than a perverted, depraved crime against humanity.”
Perhaps the most troubling statement from Lockman’s past, though, came in 1990. As director of the Pro Life Education Association, he suggested that if abortion was legal, there was no legitimate reason that rape should be illegal.
“If a woman has (the right to abortion), why shouldn’t a man be free to use his superior strength to force himself on a woman? At least the rapist’s pursuit of sexual freedom doesn’t (in most cases) result in anyone’s death,” he was quoted as saying.
Such statements have led some key Democrats in Maine to call for Lockman’s resignation. Those include Maine Democratic Party chairman Ben Grant, who called Lockman’s quotes “hateful, vicious and offensive.” Grant also said Lockman was a “disturbed individual who holds some of the most abhorrent beliefs ever heard from a public official in Maine.”
House Speaker Mark Eves, Democrat, called the comments “extremely alarming” but did not call for his resignation. Eves instead argued that Lockman’s future should be left to the voters.
“I think it’s for those that elected Rep. Lockman to decide (his fate,” he said. "People of Maine do not tolerate those types of things. You’re talking about comments that are really out of character ... for any elected official to be saying."
Lockman released his written statement Wednesday in response to the uproar.
“I have always been passionate about my beliefs, and years ago I said things that I regret,” he wrote, stopping just short of a full apology. "I hold no animosity toward anyone by virtue of their gender or sexual orientation, and today I am focused on ensuring freedom and economic prosperity for all Mainers."
The parents of a 9-year-old autistic boy say that their son was raped at school.
The father, who is being referred to as Javier for privacy’s sake, says his son was raped at H.D. Hilley Elementary in the Socorro Independent School District.
"I think he was raped right here at the school," Javier said.
The boy’s mother noticed her son was acting strange after school on Feb. 5 and complaining of pain in his rectum.
"He said a man in the restroom on the wall and was touching his behind," Javier told KVIA.
The description of the subject is vague because the boy has limited communication skills. A general description in the police and district report says the possible suspect is a “fat man without a mustache.”
When the principal of H.D. Hilley was told by the boy’s mother about the possible assault she assured her she would “take care of it.”
A report was not filed by the end of the day by the principal because “she had a very busy day and had not had time.”
Documents from an El Paso hospital examination deduce the boy was sexually assaulted.
Administrators at H.D. Hilley, SISD, and in law enforcement were made aware of the incident.
"There has not been any employee identified," SISD Assistant Superintendent Pat O'Neill said. "That's what we're trying to determine. Was it an SISD employee involved, who was involved and what actually happened? That's what the investigation's going on right now."
The Socorro school system has since posted district officers at H.D. Hilley, reports El Paso Times.
"I assure our parents, students, employees, and community members that we are doing everything possible to investigate the matter and will not rest until the issue is resolved," Socorro Independent School District Superintendent Jose Espinoza said in an online letter to parents on the district website.
The investigation is ongoing with the City of Socorro Police Department and Child Protective Services.
A third-party investigator is also being hired "to make sure that no stone is left unturned and that we learn the truth."
Javier thinks some people do not believe his son because of his limited verbal skills.
"I don't want anything," Javier said. "All I want is for them to do justice for my son."
Javier and his wife have asked for any other parents to come forward if their child has had a similar experience.
The boy is no longer enrolled at the school and is attending another school in the area.
Judge Sentenced Rapist Of 14-Year-Old Girl Who Later Killed Herself To 30 Days In Prison And Said It Was Partially Victim's Fault
Stacey Dean Rambold, the Montana teacher who served 30 days in jail for raping a student who later killed herself, claims that he is in fact the victim because of the public’s “lynch mob” mentality.
Following the rapes, in 2010, 14-year-old Cherice Moralez fatally shot herself in her mother’s bed. Rambold repeatedly raped Moralez, with authorities saying there were at least three sexual encounters between the two.
“The citizens of Montana have determined that persons as young as 12 years of age will be held accountable and responsible for their actions in regard to certain types of sexual offenses,” said Rambold’s attorney Jay Lansing. “There is no rational basis to conclude that if the person is 14 years of age, the person can only have responsibility if they are the offender.”
Shockingly, during the trial, Judge G. Todd Baugh said that the rapes were partially the victim’s fault because she “appeared older than her chronological age and was probably as much in control of the situation as the defendant.”
A panel that was assigned to investigate the comments by Judge Baugh received hundreds of complaints asking that the Montana Supreme Court censor the judge. A few weeks ago, Judge Baugh waived his rights to a public hearing and turned himself over to the justices to face consequences. He now has apologized for his comments and lax sentencing, and he plans to retire at the end of the year.
William Jeffrey Dumas was convicted of repeatedly raping a 24-year-old woman with Down syndrome on October 18, 2010.
Judge Christopher McFadden, who is an appeals judge but was temporarily presiding as a Superior Court judge in Fayette County, Ala., sentenced him to 25 years in prison.
Now, McFadden has issued the ruling on a request for a new trial for Dumas.
In the ruling, McFadden stated that the woman first complained of the attack one day after the alleged rape occurred. He noted that neither the victim nor the perpetrator seemed to act as one would expect each to act, writing that Dumas did not “behave like someone who had recently perpetrated a series of violent crimes.”
To strengthen his case that the convictions “do not have the approval of the court’s mind and conscience,” he also cited discrepancies in other witnesses’ testimonies.
Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard prosecuted the case. When presented with news of the retrial, Ballard’s reaction was one of “disgust.”
Ballard said that he had to inform the “Down syndrome woman who was the victim of the rape” that “even though a jury had convicted her assailant of the crime, the judge was giving the guy a new trial.”
He noted that the woman’s parents were “outraged.”
The District Attorney’s Office has filed a motion requesting that McFadden remove himself from the case. In the motion, they noted that, as established in the trial testimony, Dumas’ semen was found on the bed in which the woman was sleeping on the night of the alleged attack.
Furthermore, the DA’s office has stated that the doctor had examined the woman and had confirmed that her condition was consistent with the claim that she had been forcibly raped.
On Wednesday, McFadden issued a statement saying that judicial ethics prevent him from making any further public comments on the pending case.
“I cannot go beyond my written orders,” McFadden said. “The code of Judicial Conduct prohibits me from commenting further.”
McFadden denied the prosecution’s motion on Feb. 5, and will remain on the case.
Ballard is now appealing this decision to the same appeals court on which McFadden sits.
Of the upcoming case, Ballard said, “I just hope we can get some justice.”
Photo Source: http://ec.europa.eu
Florida state prosecutors are recommending a convicted kidnapper and rapist be chemically castrated as well as sentenced to life in prison.
Elmer Keith Bowman, 47, was convicted Wednesday of kidnapping and raping a Daytona Beach prostitute, who he tied up and tortured in his garage in 2011.
He faces 25 years to life in prison for sexual battery and kidnapping with a deadly weapon. Circuit Judge Carlos E. Mendoza set sentencing in the case for next Tuesday.
State prosecutors are asking that Bowman be given a life sentence as well as chemical castration.
Chemical castration differs from surgical castration in that medication is used to reduce libido. It does not sterilize a person.
In a separate case, Bowman is charged with 23 counts of child pornography.
The 28-year-old victim testified that Bowman pulled up in a white pickup truck on April 11, 2011, and pulled a knife when she got inside.
He made her stand on a stool as he tied her neck and hands to the overhead track of his garage door. She claims he also beat her a belt and a plastic pipe, burned her with a cigarette and attached heavy C-clamps to her breasts.
Bowman held the prostitute captive for at least six hours before he fell asleep and she escaped.
A mother in Jharkhand, India took justice into her own hands yesterday when she killed the man who raped her five year old daughter.
The mother, whose name has not been revealed, killed 23-year-old Arjun Tumba in the early hours of Sunday morning.
According to Jharkhand police, the mother left her daughter at home while she visited a construction site. Tumba realized the young child was home alone and lured her away with chocolate before raping her.
On Saturday night, the girl complained of pain in her private parts. She told her mother she’d been raped. After learning who the assailant was, the woman grabbed an iron rod and left her home.
She found Tumba outside of his house and beat him to death. According to police, Tumba’s neighbors learned of the rape shortly before the beating. No one intervened on Tumba’s behalf as they witnessed his murder.
The mother was arrested following the killing. She defended her actions to by saying "Beti ka rape kiya, maine usko mara... kya galat kiya?” which translates to “He raped my daughter, I killed him…what’s wrong in it?”
Police are waiting on a medical report to confirm that the young girl was raped before deciding on what action to take next.
India is currently dealing with a huge rise in sexual violence towards women. Rape cases in India doubled between 1990 and 2008.