A Florida gun show was forced to change venues when operators saw flyers for the event listing the special guest: George Zimmerman.
The cancellation of the “New Orlando Gun Show” was announced Thursday.
"We've had discussions with The Majestic and they decided to cancel the event because George Zimmerman was making an appearance," said organizer Mike Piwowarski.
Piwowarski said originally the Majestic demanded that the organizers pull down all posts on social media promoting Zimmerman’s appearance.
“We did all of that when they asked us to do it,” Piwowarski told Click Orlando. “They rescheduled the event. Then they later went on to cancel it again, after we complied with all of their requests.”
Zimmerman tweeted a letter from the Majestic’s general manager on Thursday, regarding it as “another company bowing to threats of being labeled racist.”
About 100 gun dealers would lose thousands due to the cancellation, but the Orlando gun dealer The Arms Room announced it would host the Saturday-Sunday event.
God bless these patriots! See you tomorrow! https://t.co/zjan5kZZ53
— George Zimmerman (@TherealGeorgeZ) March 8, 2014
Join us Sat 10a-7p, and Sun 12p-5p. Majestic caved, but we go on! Huge sales! Liberty Safes, Arms Room & Kel-Tec! Free food & drinks & GZ!
— George Zimmerman (@TherealGeorgeZ) March 8, 2014
George Zimmerman fled Miami after an angry crowd allegedly harassed him on a local beach.
In town to film TV interviews with Univision and Fusion last week, Zimmerman reportedly travelled to a local beach with his girlfriend, her child and her brother.
When other beachgoers recognized him they allegedly harassed him, TMZ reports.
Someone in the crowd shouted about $10,000 bounty on Zimmerman’s head.
This attack took place the same day his interview with Fusion aired. In it Zimmerman said he “absolutely” feels like he’s been a victim. He claimed he didn’t even think he should have been prosecuted in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin.
“I feel the people in power, like Gov. Scott, cowered to political pressure and shredded the Constitution, and spit in the face of all our fallen soldiers, and went through with a malicious prosecution, simply for political pressure,” he said.
He argued that guns make society safer and that gun control isn’t working.
“I think that the way our forefathers had it planned with the Second Amendment is exactly the way it should be. I think that those that are entitled to carry arms should have the right to carry arms—we do have the right to carry arms—”
George Zimmerman made headlines in February of 2012 when he shot and killed unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, who was walking back to a house in a gated community in Sanford, Florida.
Zimmerman, who is Hispanic, pleaded not guilty on grounds of self-defense. In July of 2013, an all-female jury found him not guilty of both second degree murder and manslaughter.
Now, Zimmerman, 30, is again making headlines, albeit of a different sort: he is set to fight Rapper DMX (Earl Simmons) in a three-round celebrity boxing match. Proceeds from the match are to go to charity.
Zimmerman said that the boxing match was his idea, and has said that boxing has been a hobby of his, even prior to the “incident” that shot him into the limelight. Hobby or not, his former personal trainer “dissed and dismissed Zimmerman’s fighting skills” while Zimmerman was on trial for the murder.
When the announcement was made that Zimmerman was seeking a boxing ring opponent, responses and applications came pouring in. Within the first hour, “8,000 people wanting to fight George” had expressed interest.
DMX was reportedly selected as Zimmerman’s opponent from 15,000 applicants.
Of his intentions in the match, DMX has said, “I am going to beat the living f**k out of him. I am breaking every rule in boxing to make sure I f**k him up right.”
The match is scheduled for March 1, and is organized by Damon Feldman. Given that Feldman “has staged many ‘celebrity’ boxing matches in the past…and has essentially admitted that the fights are fixed”, the upcoming fight has faced similar accusations.
The Deadspin website has stated that “there is next to zero chance that this match will be anything other than a total fraud, a prearranged entertainment.”
In 2010, Feldman said that considers himself the “WWE of boxing.” He continued on to say that his fights “give formerly famous people the chance to step in the ring, they’re not gonna kill each other. It’s 100 percent entertainment.”
Sources: http://www.inquisitr.com, Huffington Post
Photo Source: www.salon.com
George Zimmerman, who was acquitted of murder charges for shooting Trayvon Martin, has agreed to fight in a celebrity boxing match in March.
The proceeds of the match are set to go to an unnamed charity related to animal rescue.
“It was my idea,” Zimmerman said of his upcoming plans, noting that boxing is a hobby of his.
When celebrity boxing promoter Damon Feldman approached Zimmerman about an opportunity to get back in shape and contribute to a charity, Zimmerman agreed immediately.
Online responses to Zimmerman’s decision haven’t been favorable.
“George Zimmerman was acquitted because he convinced a jury he couldn't fight,” tweeted Lauren Ashley.
Feldman reported that Zimmerman is open to boxing anyone, black or white, because they won’t be “looking at it as a race thing”.
Zimmerman’s opponent has yet to be chosen.
The Associated Press sent a cease-and-desist letter to George Zimmerman over his latest painting because it is identical to one of the agency’s photographs.
Zimmerman responded on Twitter that he plans to sue AP over the matter.
His new orange and red painting features prosecutor Angela Corey, who brought charges against Zimmerman in April 2012.
"George Zimmerman clearly directly copied an AP photo to create his painting of Florida State Attorney Angela Corey," said Paul Colford, the director of media relations at AP. “The AP has sent a cease-and-desist letter asserting its copyright in the photo to the lawyer who recently represented Mr. Zimmerman. That lawyer has responded, and though she no longer represents Mr. Zimmerman, she will be forwarding the letter to him today.”
Photographer Rick Wilson says he was shocked and angry when he saw the painting, ABC News reported.
"You just can't take somebody else's work and make it your own,” Wilson said.
He called the use of his photo “extremely disrespectful and if not illegal. George Zimmerman is not a professional artist, what he is in this situation is just a scam artist.”
He claims Zimmerman literally copied his work.
“From my experience, he used a photo editing software, or he projected the picture onto a blank canvas and painted over it,” Wilson said.
Wilson has hired an attorney over the matter, although the copyright of the photo is held by AP.
“The issue for me is that Zimmerman doesn’t seem to respect anybody’s right, and he needs to move on from this Trayvon Martin, Angela Corey situation. Quit trying to capitalize off this whole incident,” Wilson’s attorney, John Phillips, told ABC News.
Zimmerman tweeted from his handle @TherealGeorgeZ, “No worries AP, I’ll just take whatever U sue me for off your table when I’m done suing you J Or… I could put out how much U offered me 2..”
To which Colford responded, “We don't know what he's talking about."
Zimmerman's last painting was sold on eBay for more than $100,000.
George Zimmerman’s latest painting features the special prosecutor who brought second-degree murder charges against him in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin.
The red painting features an orange relief of Angela Corey with her hand pinched beside her. Above her is a statement she made in April 2012 when she announced Zimmerman’s charges.
"I have this much respect for the American Judicial System,” it says.
Zimmerman’s brother Robert tweeted the image last night, adding, “Very proud to introduce @TherealGeorgeZ's latest ... 'Angie'. Sale info & details available tomorrow."
The picture of Corey bears a striking resemblance to an Associated Press photo of Corey taken by Rick Wilson, The Wire reported.
Twitter user @CallsForJustice tweeted the two identical images, stating, “Yet again George Zimmerman @therealgeorgez PLAGIARIZES,TRACES and PHOTOSHOPS painting. (Photo:Rick Wilson, AP).”
Zimmerman’s first listed painting of a blue American flag sold for $100,099.99 on eBay in December.
Trayvon Martin’s mother, Sybrina Fulton, wants her son to be remembered as a positive symbol with Martin Luther King Jr. Day approaching. But there are others who are choosing to remember the slain 17-year-old as a “’knockout’ game king.”
World Net Daily writer Jack Cashill linked Martin to the so-called game Thursday and alleged he was playing the game against George Zimmerman on the night Zimmerman shot him to death:
“Even when local TV stations cover the [knockout game] incidents… they are careful to avoid even hinting at a racial motive. The media’s collective failure to acknowledge the racial nature of the Knockout Game enable them to turn would be knockout king Trayvon Martin into a martyr and his victim, George Zimmerman, into a racist vigilante.”
Cashill went on to say Martin’s alleged knockout attack on Zimmerman was an anti-gay hate crime.
“In sum, Martin saw Zimmerman not as the hulking vigilante the media did but as a vulnerable, possibly gay white man nearly half-a-foot smaller than he,” he wrote.
People have been participating in the so-called game throughout the country, where they punch and beat strangers at random. Cashill argued that by the time Martin was shot by Zimmerman in February 2012, the game was already an ongoing trend.
“The Knockout Game was a well-established phenomenon among young black males, especially troubled ones like Martin, the product of a broken home and a broken culture. Martin’s assault on Zimmerman fit an obvious pattern,” Cashill wrote.
Cashill, a staunch supporter of Zimmerman, has compared him to Nelson Mandela and Mother Teresa, and calling him “the least racist person in the state of Florida.”
Martin’s mother made an appearance at the University of Utah Thursday to discuss racial profiling.
“What happened many miles away in Sanford should be uncomfortable for you. But is it the hoodie that really made the difference? Or the color of his skin? And if by one second, just by one mere second, we think that it’s the color of his skin, then something is wrong with America,” she told a crowd of hundreds at the Martin Luther King Week event at the University.
As for Zimmerman, the 30-year-old self-proclaimed neighborhood watchman has run into a slew of trouble since being acquitted of Martin’s murder in July 2013. He has divorced his wife Shelly and had the cops called on him by his new girlfriend. He now claims to be suing NBC for defamation, blaming much of his current trouble on the media.
Sources: UPI, Insquisitr, World Net Daily, Right Wing Watch
George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watchman who was acquitted in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, was arrested Monday in Seminole County, Fla. after police were alerted of a domestic disturbance dispute between Zimmerman and his new girlfriend.
Zimmerman, 30, was arrested at about 1 p.m. at his girlfriend’s Apopka home following a 911 call, according to WESH 2 News. Neighbors told the station that they were not aware that the woman was dating Zimmerman, but that his truck had been parked out front for about a month.
The Orlando Sentinel identifies his girlfriend as 27-year-old Samantha Scheibe.
In July, a jury found Zimmerman not guilty of second-degree murder in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. His acquittal sparked numerous protests throughout the nation, with many upset over the jury’s decision.
Since his trial, Zimmerman has had a string of run ins with the law.
Officials announced last Thursday that Zimmerman would not face any charges in a September altercation with his estranged wife, Shellie Zimmerman. Police said they “could not salvage” a video recorded on an iPad that allegedly showed footage of the Sept. 9 dispute.
Security footage shows Zimmerman destroying the iPad.
His wife had accused Zimmerman of punching her father and threatening them at the father’s home.
In September, his wife’s mother also accused Zimmerman of stealing property from her Lake Mary home. Authorities are reviewing the case to determine if it will be a civil or criminal matter.
During the summer, he was also pulled over three times for minor traffic incidents, receiving warnings twice and a speeding ticket once.
Sources: Huffington Post, WESH 2 News, Orlando Sentinel
Director Spike Lee is being sued by a Florida couple after he posted their address on his Twitter account identifying it as the home of acquitted Trayvon Martin shooter George Zimmerman.
The address of Elaine and David McClain was shared with to 240,000 followers back in March 2012. Lee believed it was Zimmerman’s address and was frustrated at the lack of legal action against the former neighborhood watch volunteer after he fatally shot 17-year-old Martin.
Some who retweeted the address implied that they would plan something violent against the occupants.
Realizing his mistake, Lee deleted the tweet and apologized to the McClains’, but the address is still circulating on social media as recently as Nov. 10, according to The Verge.
Lee reported settled with the couple, but the matter obviously hasn't been dropped.
They say they have received threats, physical and emotional distress, and permanent loss of property value. Law enforcement and media have had a prolonged presence outside their door.
The suit seeks damages “in excess of $15,000,” although the couple’s attorney says the claim could be worth more than $1.2 million.
Attorney General Eric Holder reiterated on Monday that the Justice Department has still not ruled out the possibility of filing federal civil rights charges against George Zimmerman.
Zimmerman, of course, famously shot and killed Trayvon Martin in February of 2012. Zimmerman was acquitted of all charges related to the incident on July 13, 2013.
Holder told reporters that the Justice Department’s investigation of the event is on-going.
“I’m not sure exactly how much longer that will take, but we will get to a point where we are able to make a determination,” Holder said.
His comments are consistent with a message delivered to the National Action Network in April in which he said his department would “take appropriate action” if sufficient evidence of a civil rights violation was found in the case. He reminded members of the network that the Justice Department maintains a “very high barrier” for pursuing federal criminal charges.
Holder also said on Monday that the court’s ruling in Zimmerman’s trial would carry significant weight in the Justice Department’s decision.
“The case of George Zimmerman — and what happens there — I think a substantial part was resolved in the case that was tried,” he said.