Mother Arrested After Her Abandoned Young Children Ask Police For Ride To School In Freezing Cold (Video)
Three children left alone in the freezing cold New Hampshire outdoors walked into a police station one morning and asked for a ride to school. Now, their 26-year-old mom is facing serious charges.
Katarina Short has officially lost custody of her children, aged 1, 4, and 5, and is facing three counts of child endangerment.
Surveillance video captured the children walking into the police station after attempting to make their own way to school early Tuesday morning. The children knew their mother wasn’t home, and the oldest child wanted to go to school, so he decided to take his siblings to the police station to ask for help when it got too cold out.
“The reason why he had left the house is after discovering their mother wasn’t there his greatest desire was to get to school,” Farmington Police Chief Kevin Willey said. “He was able to get their coats on. The one-year-old she had her boots on but unfortunately he had put them on the wrong feet.”
Short was arrested immediately after police tracked her down, and according to her claims, the children were supposed to be left in the care of a babysitter while she went to the store. After investigating her claims, however, police now say that a babysitter was never called.
According to reports, the children were taken to the hospital to be examined, and all are said to be healthy. The children are now in foster care while their mother is out on bail, awaiting her arraignment on March 18.
Two teenagers are in police custody after a video of one boy abusing a dog was posted on Facebook and quickly went viral.
The video, posted by Facebook user Coats Keshawn, shows a teenage boy body slamming a puppy multiple times before repeatedly punching it and restraining it. The person capturing the incident on camera can be heard laughing while the brutal animal abuse takes place.
“Yeah, I’m shocked about what happened because you know I didn’t think my son could do something like that, no way,” said the mother of one of the boys to Fox 2 News.
Since being posted on Facebook, the video has gotten over 4,000 shares and has spread across social media like wildfire. Both boys, the one behind the camera and the one actually abusing the dog, have now been arrested by St. Louis County police and are facing charges of animal abuse. Their cases have been turned over to Family Court because both boys are juveniles.
The puppy, said to be six or seven months old, has been seized by animal control and is being examined to see if she sustained any injuries. The dog will likely be put up for adoption.
Two South Florida lawyers are in serious trouble after scamming a client, and now they will have to pay back all of the $275,000 they took from his family.
It all started when Patrick Coulton was arrested. Coulton pleaded guilty to the charges against him and was sentenced to 14 years in prison; as part of his plea deal, prosecutors said they would later recommend reducing his time.
So when the time came for Coulton’s sentence to be reduced, prosecutors made good on their promise, but the man’s two attorneys Emmanuel Roy and Peter Mayas were nowhere to be found. In fact, Coulton hadn’t heard from them since his sentencing, and his family had already paid them over $275,000 and had given them assets like a townhome, jewelry that included a gold medal purchased at the Vatican, and Coulton’s wife’s $23,000 wedding/engagement ring set.
Coulton’s new lawyer, Paul Petruzzi, uncovered the scam and brought it to court. After Coulton was released, the case against the two lawyers began, although neither responded to the charges against them for months. Petruzzi was able to determine that the case should only have cost Coulton and his family around $50,000.
"Guys like them are the reason people hate lawyers," said Petruzzi. "They took everything from him and his family. I took it personally because this is what I do for a living. Lawyers are supposed to help people."
Now, Roy and Mayas have been ordered to pay back the over $275,000 to Coulton’s family, as well as $100,000 in legal fees to Petruzzi. Roy is currently serving a seven-year prison sentence for unrelated mortgage fraud charges, and both lawyers have started paying back Coulton. Coulton is now also living in Mayas’ home as determined by a judge. Coulton says it’s interesting how everything has come full circle.
"Even though they threw me under the bus, there's a certain sense of unease about acquiring a house in this fashion," said Coulton after moving into Mayas’ home. "I almost feel sorry for them."
A Maryland official at the National Security Agency has officially been charged with beating his 3-year-old adopted son to death.
36-year-old Brian Patrick O' Callaghan of Damascus, Maryland was arrested on February 16. According to reports, O’Callaghan, who was chief of the NSA’s Korea division, took his adopted Korean son Hyunsu O' Callaghan to the emergency room on February 1 because he was unresponsive. Hyunsu died two days later, and doctors said he died of injuries consistent with being beaten.
"These types of injuries are consistent with acute head trauma and Brian O'Callaghan could not provide an explanation that would cause this type of medical distress to Hyunsu," it said in the medical documents.
O’Callaghan told police that his son had fallen in the bathtub on January 31 and that he became unresponsive the next day, ultimately leading to his death. The charges against him, however, contradict these claims and allege that O’Callaghan beat his son to death.
"The injuries to this child were catastrophic injuries," said State's Attorney John McCarthy. "I think the evidence supports the charges that were brought."
The NSA official’s lawyer Steve McCool says that the allegations against him are false and that the truth will come out during the trial.
"When all the evidence is presented in this case, we're all gonna know the truth, which is this was a terrible, terrible tragedy and not a crime," said McCool.
O’Callaghan’s grandfather William Rose echoes McCool’s sentiments, maintaining that his grandson is completely innocent.
"I find it impossible to believe that he's been indicted for murder because he's worked so hard to get this baby," said Rose to the Washington Post. "He was so loving with him. He's been so wonderful with his other child. I've never seen him do anything that would make me believe he is capable of that."
O’Callaghan has officially been charged in the young boy’s death and is currently being held without bond.
A woman and her alleged lover were stoned to death by the woman’s husband and an angry mob in the small Pakistani province of Balochistan, and now, the husband and others have been arrested.
According to reports, the woman’s husband approached a local cleric to ask him to approve the stoning. Once he gave them permission, the mob led by Hayat Bibi’s husband found her alleged lover Daraz Khan, 25, and took him to be stoned to death. Bibi, 27, who went into hiding when the affair was discovered a week earlier, finally came forward after learning that Khan had been captured.
Bibi was forced to watch Khan be brutally stoned to death before the rocks were thrown at her. In Pakistan, death by stoning is legal, but only if a federal or provincial court passes it. In this case, neither approved the stoning, so both are being considered murders rather than sentences for a crime.
“It is a shameful act and the people involved in stoning the man and the woman will be brought to justice,” said Sarfaraz Bugti, the interior minister for Balochistan.
Now, Bibi’s husband, the cleric, and four others that were involved have been arrested and charged with murder. All could face the death penalty for the charges, but reports say that it is unlikely that will actually happen.
Investigator at Las Vegas Taxicab Charged With Illegally Recording Conversation That Proved Corruption
A Las Vegas Taxicab authority investigator has come forward with recorded evidence of a conversation between his boss and another worker. Now, after coming forward with recording of the call that apparently shows favoritism, false numbers, and sharing of secret information, the investigator Joseph Morgan, is facing charges.
Even though the conversation between boss Ruben Aquino and fellow investigator Antoine Rivers allegedly contains incriminating evidence, Morgan is being charged with with “one count of interception of wire communication and one count of surreptitious intrusion of privacy by listening device.”
Among the accusations made by Morgan are that numbers used by the company to help them win agency of the year are completely made up, and that Rivers had an unfair advantage in getting a promotion from his boss.
An email was sent to Governor Brain Sandoval by a friend of Morgan’s wife that outlined the conversation and asked that Chief Aquino be reprimanded.
"This is just another example of Aquino breeding discord among employees,” it said in the email. “Chief Aquino cannot maintain a professional work environment,” it said, while ending with the request that the governor, “take action to correct this misconduct and illegal actions.”
It is not known where Morgan currently stands as an employee with Taxicab as he faces charges for recording the conversation.
Glenn Taylor and David Hall, the Boy Scout leaders that caused outrage after being caught on camera (video below) shoving a 200-million-year-old rock off its natural perch in a Utah state park, are both now being charged for their actions.
45-year-old Taylor was charged with criminal mischief this past week for toppling the ancient rock back in October, and Hall was charged with aiding criminal mischief for taking part in the crime. Both charged are felonies in the state of Utah, and if found guilty, they could both face up to five years in prison.
"We've said what needed to be said in the past, we've apologized, we've said we're sorry, we're happy to see this thing coming to an end," said Hall following the charged on Friday. "We're just not going to be making any interview appointments, statements, anything. What's said has already been said."
Both Hall and Taylor have stood by their claims that they pushed the rock off of where it was sitting out of concern for the safety unsuspecting children. Many don’t believe those claims, however, because the men are seen in the video, which was posted to YouTube, laughing and high-fiving one another.
Scott Card, attorney for Taylor, says he believes that his client is facing charges that are too extreme for what he did.
“I understand why the state brought felony charges - it's a definite deterrent effect,” said Card, “but I believe it's an overcharge. We will be defending Mr. Taylor in court.”
The two men are scheduled to appear in front of a judge in March.
An Austrian postgraduate student on holiday in Dubai faces charges after going to police to report that the son of a police officer raped her. The 24-year-old is facing charges of sex before marriage and alcohol consumption, both of which are illegal in the Muslim country.
Sources close to the case all told Gulf News details about the incident and claimed that an investigation is currently being conducted to determine if the rape allegations are true or if the sex was indeed consensual.
“The woman came with friends on holiday for Christmas and the 42nd National Day celebrations,” describes one source. “She went with her friends to a pub in a hotel to attend a National Day party and that was where she met the man, who introduced himself as an Emirati. The man was also with a group of joint friends. The partygoers decided to go to an after-party gathering. The man offered to drive the student. He locked the doors as soon as they jumped into his car in the basement parking. When he unlocked the doors the Austrian claims that she ran away and saw a group of people. She claimed to them that she had been raped and those people told the police.”
According to reports, police tried to convince her to marry the man in order to get herself out of being charged with sex outside of marriage, but the woman refused and insisted that she was raped.
“The Austrian woman, who is in her mid 20s, is currently facing primary charges of having consensual sex with the Yemeni man and consuming liquor,” said the source. “Further investigations will prove whether she was raped as she claims or had consensual sex. Police records show that the couple had consensual sex. Prosecutors have requested the footage of the parking area’s surveillance cameras to confirm her claims whether she was crying and in a distraught state when she got out of the car or not.”
Police say that the woman initially claimed that the sex was consensual and only later changed her claim to rape, but the woman insists that the man and his police officer father pressured her to make false claims in the first place. Both sex outside of marriage and alcohol consumption are illegal in the United Arab Emirates, which means the young woman could face serious charges if found guilty of either.
A transgender teen in California is facing criminal charges after being involved in a schoolyard brawl, caught on camera, with a group of bullies.
16-year-old Jewlyes Gutierrez says that her part in the fight was self-defense against three girls that were relentlessly bullying her, but the district attorney won’t back down from the charges.
"It went to a point that I had all these emotions on me, and I didn't know what to do," she said. "It came to a point where I wanted to hurt myself."
Gutierrez says she was left with no choice but to stand up to the girls, and that’s when the fight broke out. The transgender student is the only one facing criminal charges for the fight, and now, a petition by Guitierrez’s sister demanding the charges be dropped has gone viral.
"Hopefully it helps inspire other people in similar situations to speak up as well," said Melissa Gutierrez Poquiz. "Because these hurtful treatments shouldn't be tolerated."
All four girls were suspended following the fight, but once video of the brawl made it to the Internet, Gutierrez was charged with battery.
District Attorney Dan Cabral refuses to talk about the case, but school board president Charles Ramsey wonders why criminal charges were filed after the school already dealt with the incident on their own.
"And what's the precedent it sets? Is this going to happen anytime somebody sends in a video clip?" said Ramsey. "If we're going to find out that instead of real heinous crimes and murders and robberies...are we going to be focused on students who are at a high school?"
Gutierrez is scheduled to appear in court in early February and hopes that the petition, which already has over 2,000 signatures, will push the district attorney to drop all charges.
A 27-year-old man who filmed himself punching an elderly black man in an apparent “Knockout Game” attack has been charged with a hate crime by federal authorities. He is arguing that the charges are unconstitutional.
The man, identified as Conrad Alvin Barrett, was denied bail after being arrested by federal authorities. The 79-year-old that he assaulted was in the hospital for a few days following the attack.
Barrett faces 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine if he’s found guilty of the federal hate crime. He is now arguing that federal authorities shouldn’t have gotten involved in the case from the start.
“This is a case that could have easily been handled by state authorities,” said Barrett’s lawyer George Parnham to the Huffington Post.
The “Knockout Game” is considered by some to be an epidemic rather than a string of random assaults, but with all the other attacks, the cases have been handled on a state or local level.
Barrett’s case is the first to be handled on a federal level and it’s solely because of the hate crime statute.