One of the things I like about hot yoga classes is that, after the class, I feel wrung out like wet towel. It's not a feeling I'm looking for every day, but on the days I need it, it feels so so good. It's as though before the class I was filled up with junky-mess and then afterwards I sweat it all free.
Detox classes, or classes that focus on detoxifying the body, can have a similar effect. Focusing on gentle or more vigorous abdominal twists combined with deep breathing, detox classes can feel like a renewal. I took a class that focused on detoxing yesterday. Near the end of class, the instructor led us into Ananda Balasana. Mixing up the two common English translations for the pose, she said, "Now, come into Happy Bug or Dead Baby." It took me a second to understand what just happened, but the more I thought about it, the funnier it became. A detox class ending with an unintended joke? Even better.
Popular VideoSNL is not a fan of the Trump administration, and it shows with every new skit they produce. Do you think they need to tone it down?
- Sukhasana (Easy Pose)
- Nadi Shodna Pranayama (Alternate Nostril Breath), 5-10 minutes
- Face stretches. Make lots of funny faces and deep Simhasana (Lion's Breath)
- Matsyendrasana (Seated Twist). Be really gentle here!
- Repeat other direction
- Taking one arm to floor by seat, other arm up and over for side stretch. Repeat other side.
- Tadasana (Mountain Pose)
- Pavana Muktasana (Standing Wind Relieving Pose)
- Vrksasana (Tree Pose)
- Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana (Half Bound Lotus), or any variations of your choice
- Repeat steps 7-9 on the other side
- Take hand to opposite hip and other hand to lower back for gentle standing twist. Repeat other side
- Utthita Trikonasana (triangle pose)
- Parvritta Trikonasana (reverse triangle pose)
- Repeat steps 13 and 14 on other side
- Uthitta Parsvakonasana (extended angle pose)
- Parvritta Parsvakonasana (reverse angle pose)
- Repeat steps 16 and 17 on other side
- Prasarita Padottonasana (wide legged fwd bend) with twist, bringing torso towards one leg and then the other
- Parsvottonasana focusing on pulling the lower belly in to make space for the forward bend. Repeat on other side.
- Garbasana (Child's Pose). Hold for 2-3 minutes, propping head up on pillow if it feels the need to be higher than heart level
- Walk hands to one side and then other for gentle side stretch
- Supta Pavana Muktasana (Reclined Wind Relieving Pose). Repeat other side
- Supta Balasana (Reclined Child's Pose, bringing both knees into chest)
- Supta Matsyendrasana (Reclined Twists). Repeat other side