World

ISIS Claims Responsibility For Manchester Attack

| by Michael Howard

ISIS has taken credit for the suicide bombing attack in Manchester, England, that killed 22 people and injured 59 others.

"One of the soldiers of the Caliphate was able to place an explosive device within a gathering of the Crusaders in the city of Manchester," the terrorist organization stated on one of its social media platforms, according to the New York Post.

Previously, ISIS had praised the bombing on various social media channels, calling it a victory against the Western "crusaders." One video showed an English-speaking ISIS supporter holding a sign with "Manchester" and the date of the attack written on it.

"This is only the beginning," the man said. "The lions of Islamic State of Iraq and Sham are beginning to attack all the crusaders."

Popular Video

This young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.

Others indicated that the attack was revenge for the UK's participation in the war against ISIS in Syria and Iraq.

"It seems that the bombs of the British air force over children of Mosul and Raqqa has just come back to Manchester," one person wrote.

The bombing, which took place at the end of an Ariana Grande concert on the night of May 22, was the deadliest terror attack on British soil since the 2005 London subway bombings, according to CNN.

Police said there was only one attacker, and they are now working to establish whether he was part of a larger network of terrorists. On May 23, authorities in Manchester arrested a 23-year-old man in connection with the atrocity.

Popular Video

This young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:

British Prime Minister Theresa May described the attack as "callous" and "cowardly" during an emergency cabinet meeting.

"We struggle to comprehend the warped and twisted mind that sees a room packed with young children not a scene to cherish but as an opportunity for carnage," she said.

May added that police have identified the man responsible for the blast, but did not disclose his name.

Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham said the attack marked "our darkest of nights."

"Manchester is today waking up to the most difficult of dawns," he stated. "These were children, young people and their families that those responsible chose to terrorize and kill. This was an evil act."

President Donald Trump responded to the bombing from Bethlehem, where he was visiting with Palestinian leader Mahmound Abbas.

"So many young, beautiful, innocent people living and enjoying their lives, murdered by evil losers," Trump said, according to NBC News. "I won't call them monsters because they would like that term, they would think that is a great name."

"I will call them, from now on, losers, because that's what they are: losers," he added.

Sources: New York Post, CNN, NBC News / Photo credit: Phil Long/Flickr

Is there any way to prevent attacks of this nature?
Yes - 0%
Yes - 0%