Shaun Brotherston, 21, and Bradley Price, 20, Die After Taking Heroin

| by Arthur Kogan
article imagearticle image

A pair of best friends died while celebrating a 21st birthday after they mistakenly ingested white heroin which they believed to be cocaine.

Shaun Brotherston, 21, and Bradley Price, 20, were celebrating Shaun’s birthday by traveling to Amsterdam from their homes in Plymouth, a city on the south coast of Devon, England. They were last seen alive on Nov. 22, 2014, through the CCTV of the Apollo Museum Hotel in Amsterdam where they stayed.

When police arrived at the hotel to investigate the situation on Nov. 25, 2014, they were greeted by staff who told them that the two guests were found in an “unresponsive state,” according to Mirror.

The report by Officer Jamie J Jongkind-Woud when he arrived at the scene read the following:

"On Tuesday November 25th we were on routine patrol, and the dispatcher ordered us to go to Apollo Museum hotel where two hotel guests were found in non-responsive. We arrived at 12.05pm and were met at the door by an employee who told us that housekeeping had just found two men in a room who did not respond to anyone, there was also a foul smell.

"We then went up to the room with the employee and opened the door with a blank hotel key card. When we opened the door we smelt the familiar cadaverous odour [sic]. There was a man lying on the bed in an odd lifeless position, we could see blood under his nose. There was another man slumped in a chair with his head forward, his head was red and purple in colour [sic].

"There was a grey [sic] tray with white powder on the side with a card on it. We thought it was probably cocaine. There was also different bottles of beer and spirits in the room."

According to Western Morning News, Dutch authorities ordered toxicology reports to be performed after their deaths which then found traces of opiates in their blood and urine.

“I confirm the cause of death as an accidental drug overdose,” said HM coroner for Plymouth and Devon Ian Arrow.

"(Shaun) was on holiday with a friend in Amsterdam. He was found dead in his hotel room. He had taken white heroin believing it was cocaine,” the coroner said. “(Bradley) was on holiday with a friend in Amsterdam. He was found dead in his hotel room. He had taken white heroin believing it was cocaine. I would like to offer my condolences to the family.

"I would like to comment on the hard work done by the Dutch authorities in this matter," the coroner added, "and hope that they have prevented further deaths, so that some good thing can come from these deaths.”

Police are still investigating the situation and are seeking more information on the origins of the drugs and the individual who sold it to Shaun and Bradley.

Dutch authorities have begun an awareness drive intended to teach the general public and local residents about the dangers of drugs, particularly white heroin.

Sources: Western Morning News, Mirror             

Photo Source: Wikipedia