Get Your Twist On! Twisting postures are often “fan favorites” when it come to our yoga asana practice and there is plenty of reasons why. This article below explains many benefits of properly performed twists, and discusses how twisting can be used as an integral part of your yoga practice to revitalize your mind, body, and spirit. Thanks to naturalnews.com for the article.
Article Via NaturalNews.Com:
Traditional yoga wisdom teaches us that twisting poses play a vital role in maintaining the health of our bodies and minds. The twisting motion is important because it incorporates so many central points of the body. Yoga twists require the work of the abdominal muscles, oblique muscles, spine, neck, shoulders and pelvis. Each twist improves the strength and flexibility in all of these areas. This provides two distinct and essential benefits:
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
The Relief of Back Pain and Pressure
The lower back region bears a considerable amount of weight when you are standing or sitting throughout the day. This puts pressure on the lower vertebrae, restricting circulation to the area. Yoga twists can reverse the daily damage to your lower back by restoring circulation, increasing flexibility and correcting posture. These positions rejuvenate the spinal column and improve range of motion. This makes daily yoga twists an excellent way to relieve back pain.
Cleansing and Detoxifying Body Tissues
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
Performing yoga twists massages inner muscles and organs, essentially wringing out toxins while bringing in a rush of fresh oxygen and nutrients. This flushes impurities from inner tissues and helps organs perform their functions properly. Among other benefits, this is an effective method for improving sluggish digestion.
Some Tips for Performing Yoga Twists:
- Twisting motions are more difficult for some than others. Only twist as much as feels comfortable to you. If you perform twisting yoga poses on a regular basis, you will gradually be able to increase your range of motion and the depth of your twists.
- It’s important to bring focus to each yoga twist. Before you begin a twist, use your core muscles to center your pelvis and hips. This provides a stable base to balance the spine. Keep your shoulders comfortably back and your posture upright. This is the ideal way to start a twist.
- Begin a twist by slowly inhaling and lengthening your spine. This is important for protecting the spine during the twist. Begin to twist as you exhale slowly, starting from your pelvis and twisting upwards to the neck. With each breath in, gently lengthen your spine further. Picture the spine stretching upward. With each breath out, gently twist a little deeper into the movement. Again, it is important to never twist beyond comfort.
- When you are finished with your twists, lie still on your back for several minutes to allow the benefits to sink in. Allow your muscles to relax. It’s the ideal way to end a rejuvenating session of yoga.
- Those who have herniated spinal discs and those at risk of herniating discs should stick with seated twists, as standing twists could cause further damage in these cases.
Click here to check out the full article and to learn more!