Going on vacation? There’s no better time to travel in the year than now! Kids are out of school, the sun is hot, everyone is in the mood for a summer getaway. You can eat whatever you want while on vacation, without tearing up your wallet into a gizillion pieces. The secret? Healthy snacks! On the road…in the airport…at the beach…while on vacation. Not only will healthy snacks save you money, but they are also a great way to keep your metabolism going (burn calories) while on vacation!
- Lara bars. A delicious blend of unsweetened fruits, nuts and spices and only contain no more than eight ingredients (all 100% whole food). These bars are gluten free, dairy free, soy free, vegan and kosher with all the vitamins, minerals, fiber, good carbohydrates and healthy fats your body needs (and would love!).
- Homemade oatmeal cookies. Get the kids involved and baking in the kitchen before you hit the road/plane. Oatmeal has lots of heart-healthy benefits and are packed with fiber.
- Fruit. Fruit is a vacay must have. You can also try freezing bite-size grapes, strawberries, melons, cantaloupes, watermelon, etc. and eat while on the road. These refreshing snacks are packed with nutrients to keep your energy exactly where you need it…at the top!
- Popcorn. Air-popping your own popcorn and flavoring it however you like cuts down on fat and calories. Fill up those zip-lock blags with popcorn and add different flavors to each one to make everyone (including your body) happy!
- Granola. Another way to get the kids involved is by making batches of granola before hitting the road. This breakfast food and/or snack food consists of rolled oats, nuts, honey, sometimes rice, and whatever dried fruit you’d like to add (cranberries, cherries, raisins, etc.).
Try not to go more than 3-4 hours without eating something! Keeping one (or all) of these snacks in your purse, pocket or backpack is a great way to stay nourished without stressing out about where you’re going to eat next.
What do you like to pack for yourself and/or your kids in your suitcase? Have you tried any of the above?
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Research assistance provided by Monica Lobo, RD.