Editor’s Note: Arturo Galletti has been tracking the NBA’s free agent market. Recently he reported at his blog – Arturo Silly Little Stats (part of the Wages of Wins Network) – the teams he believes have been the winners and losers in the free agent market (thus far). For those who have not been reading Arturo’s analysis, this is re-posted below:
As of now about 60% (260 wins) of the projected wins available (410 Wins) on the Free Agent market are off the board. So I felt it was a good time to update the table and put down some early thoughts.
First off, The Updated Free Agent Guide
Winners & Losers
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Here’s my quick table on winners and losers:
Quick Thoughts & Grades by Team:
- Miami: Enough has been said about Miami in this space and elsewhere but let me add: Wow, just wow. My Grade: Eleventy
- Golden State: A forum on whether or not you like David Lee. Dorell Wright is good. My Grade: A, no selection bias here.
- Detroit: Detroit kept Ben Wallace. That’s real forward looking. My Grade: C
- Chicago: The Bulls did not get exactly what they wanted but they still massively upgraded. Chicago went two of three (Boozer and Brewer are wow, korver not so much). My Grade: B+
- Phoenix: Classic Suns pantsing the league on childress and cutting payroll. The only reason I withhold an A is Frye. Looking at their roster they may not be done yet. My Grade: B+ for now
- Orlando: The Magic were good but they could be great it all depends on coach Stan Van playing Redick more over the corpse of Vinsanity My Grade: B- for questionable minute allocation
- Lakers: As a Celtics fan, #$#%% #@%@@!!!! And they stole a guy in the 2nd round of the draft (Caracter). The Kobe deal (not included on the list as it happened in-season) could be the turd in the punch bowl in the future. My Grade: A+
- Houston: Again better than it looks. The Yao extension is worth a hundred million easy to that franchise. My Grade: A+
- Milwakee: Sneaky. Makes a good team, better and deeper. Fear the Deer! My Grade: B for Bucks
- Boston: Better on paper. I heart Pierce & Allen but they sure are creaky. Love me some pocket kryptonite. Jermaine O’Neal? Just Ugh! The Rondo Deal (again not counted in the total as it happened in-season ) keeps a passing grade. My Grade: C for Creaky Celtics
- Toronto: Meh My Grade: D for doubt they’ll make the playoffs
- Charlotte: Sneaky. Young above average PF on the cheap (Thomas). Could be good but they need to start him. The rumor on Shaun Livingston would give them an A for me. My Grade: B for Brown
- Denver: Meh again My Grade: D
- Knicks: New York deserves and will get their own post. I will say that by breaking even they lapped the regime of Lord Thomas My Grade: Watch this space later
- Nets: Throwing some good money after bad. They’re getting a new GM though My Grade: D comrade
- Dallas: Cuban seem to delight at paying full price on day old cheese. Yes it tastes good now they’re past the expiration date Grade: D for Dirk is Dissapoint
- Minnesota: Khan and Free Darko, a marriage made in comedy heaven. I feel for Love. Grade: F
- Atlanta & Memphis: Question, what Free Agent contracts were signed that were immediately untradeable? Answer: Joe Johnson & Rudy Gay Grade: Z for Zombie franchise killer contracts.
- Arturo Galletti