Technology

iPhone 6 Catches On Fire, Badly Burns Man Through His Jeans (Video)

| by Dominic Kelly

A man was with his family in Tucson, Arizona, when he suddenly realized that his iPhone 6 had heated up, bent and caught on fire in his pocket, ultimately leaving him with a nasty burn.

Phillip Lechter says he and his family were riding in a rickshaw in Tucson when the driver of the bike caught a trolley track in the road and tipped over. Lechter says he was “half on, half off” the vehicle and turned around to check on his wife and son when he suddenly smelt something burning and noticed “thick smoke” coming from his pocket.

Popular Video

Everyone, meet Madeline Stuart. She's the first-ever professional model with Down Syndrome, and she's inspiring millions of people around the world:

In that moment, Lechter noticed that his leg was on fire, but thankfully, a bystander threw water on it to put it out. Lechter was able to retrieve his bent and burnt phone from his pocket and throw it out of the cab. The video, which has now gone viral, shows the phone completely bent on the road, and as someone pours ice water on it, it starts to sizzle.

Popular Video

Everyone, meet Madeline Stuart. She's the first-ever professional model with Down Syndrome, and she's inspiring millions of people around the world:

“The smoke was thick and I quickly laid down to get the Apple iPhone 6 out of my pocket. The smell was disturbing. I could feel my leg burning,” Lechter said in a blog post about the incident. “‘I pulled the Apple iPhone 6 out of my pocket and threw it to the side. Someone from a crowd of spectators threw a cup of water on my leg to put the fire out on my jeans. I had a leather Apple case on the phone, and the case was facing forward, and that saved my fingers from getting badly burned when I went to remove the phone from my pocket. This was a surreal experience and if it hadn’t happened to me I wouldn’t believe it myself.”

In a picture Lechter provided of the burn, it’s clear that the iPhone burned right through his pocket and boxers and caused him significant injury.

“The doctor's report described a 11.5 cm x 10.5 cm burn area on my right leg and classified the burn as second-degree with first-degree burns surrounding the area,” Lechter wrote. “According to the Doctor, the burn will require cleanliness, antibiotics and pain management for treatment.”

Commenters on YouTube seemed to think that Lechter bent the phone himself to get attention and cause controversy, but after reading his blog post, it’s disturbing to see how quickly this situation escalated. Apple has yet to comment on the incident.

Sources: Metro UK, CNET, International Business Times

Photo Source: Phillip Lechter's blog