Popular imageboard website 4chan has just released its first official set of rules.
The site, which is at the forefront of the meme trend that’s taken over the world, let’s users anonymously post pictures, GIF’s, and other image-based media in a discussion board setting.
4chan is the platform that launched popular Internet trends like LOLcats, Rickrolling, Pedobear, and Chocolate Rain. There are a variety of different discussion boards to choose from on the site, including anime, video games, weapons, technology, television and film, music, travel, fitness, and more. There is also an Adult section, labeled NSFW (not safe for work) that allows user to post pornography.
Now, 4chan has announced that it has implemented a set of rules. Founder Christopher Poole explains why the rules are important.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
“The purpose of 4chan's Rules page is to answer that question—what does and doesn't belong,” says Poole. “If you look through the rules (as I'm sure you all have), I think you'll find them to be well-intentioned and straightforward. The majority seek to clarify what constitutes "on-topic" posting, and their purpose is not to stifle discussion, but to facilitate it. They're also written to be clearly understood by both the users and moderators, to ensure both compliance and consistency in their enforcement.”
Since its inception, the only rule that 4chan has had in place in that users have to abide by all United States laws. With the implementation of the news laws, 4chan users will have to abide by a total of 17 restrictions. You can see the rules here:
- Do not upload, post, discuss, request, or link to, anything that violates local or United States law. This will be severely punished and strictly enforced.
- If you are under the age of 18, or it is illegal for you to view the materials contained on this website, discontinue browsing immediately.
- Do not post the following outside of /b/: Trolls, flames, racism, off-topic replies, uncalled for catchphrases, macro image replies, indecipherable text (example: "lol u tk him 2da bar|?"), anthropomorphic ("furry"), grotesque ("guro"), post number GETs ("dubs"), or loli/shota pornography. Keep /pol/ in /pol/. In essence: Don't shitpost.
- The posting or requesting of personal information ("dox") or calls to invasion ("raids") is prohibited. Inciting or participating in cross-board (intra-4chan) raids is also not permitted.
- All boards that default to the Yotsuba B or Burichan (blue) theme are to be considered "work safe." Violators may be temporarily banned and their posts removed. Note: Spoilered pornography or other not safe for work content is NOT allowed.
- The quality of posts is extremely important to this community. Contributors are encouraged to provide high-quality images and informative comments.
- Submitting false or misclassified reports, or otherwise abusing the report system will result in a ban of indeterminate length. Replying to a thread stating that you've reported it or another post is also disallowed—please do not announce your reports.
- Complaining about 4chan (its policies, moderation, etc.) on the imageboards can result in post deletion and banishment. The administrator will address your questions, comments, complaints, and concerns via e-mail.
- Ban evasion will result in permanent bans—no exceptions. Instead, wait and appeal it!
- No spamming or flooding of any kind. No intentionally evading spam/post filters.
- Advertising (all forms) is also not welcome—this includes any type of referral linking, "offers", soliciting, begging, stream threads, etc.
- Impersonating the 4chan administrator, moderators, or janitors is strictly forbidden.
- Do not use avatars or attach signatures to your posts.
- The use of scrapers, bots, or other automated posting or downloading scripts is prohibited. Users may not post from proxies or Tor exit nodes.
- All pony/brony threads, images, and avatars belong on /mlp/.
- All requests belong on /r/ unless otherwise noted.
- Remember: The use of 4chan is a privilege, not a right. The 4chan staff reserves the right to revoke access and remove content for any reason without notice.
Global rules apply to all boards unless otherwise noted.