Health

Steelers Fan Accepts Drink From Bears Fans at Bar, Nearly Dies

| by DeepDiveAdmin

So much for sportsmanship -- a Pittsburgh man is blind and left with brain damage after apparently being poisoned by fans of a rival team.

Zack Heddinger and a few friends traveled to Chicago to see the Steelers take on the Bears in September. After the Steelers lost, the group went to a bar for drinks. Heddinger and his pals started trash-talking with some Bears fans and things turned ugly.

"Basically, I guess, my buddies had gotten into an altercation and they offered a drink as a peacemaker from what I understand," Heddinger told WTAE-TV.

Shortly after drinking it, Heddinger collapsed. He was rushed to a nearby hospital, where his heart stopped four times. Doctors assumed he just had too much to drink, but they quickly realized there was something else going on.

"They thought it was antifreeze or something like that …because it was so strong," said Heddinger.

Doctors suspect the drink was spiked with toxic grain alcohol.

"I don’t think they tried to kill me. I think they tried to hurt me, but the killing came pretty close," said Heddinger.

Heddinger's family rushed to Chicago, after doctors called them and said he might not make it.

"I literally watched him say, within a matter of hours, 'I'm getting really scared. I can't see anything,'" said sister Lisa.

Heddinger is now back in Pittsburgh, undergoing oxygen treatment in an effort to regain his sight. Doctors, though, are not optimistic.

Back in Chicago, police are looking for the men who did this. They are not optimistic, either.