2013 NFL Mock Draft: Picks 1-62
Free agency goes down tomorrow at 4 PM EST so the needs could change drastically but right now this is what I see.
1. Kansas City Chiefs = Luke Joeckel OT Texas A&M
Sure they reupped with Branden Albert but he can slide to guard or even right tackle to replace Eric Winston so the Chiefs take the value here.
2. Jacksonville Jaguars = Sharrif Floyd DT Florida
The Jaguars have a lot of needs and the defensive line is at the top of the list even though they have drafted this area in the 1st round twice since 2008. One to watch here is Ezekial Ansah as supposedly they are really high on him.
3. Oakland Raiders = Star Lotulelei DT Utah
The Raiders would love for Floyd to be there at their pick but if he's gone, Star is the best fit for their system. Lotulelei failed his physical at the combine and is seeing his stock drop a little but he is a helluva player.
4. Philadelphia Eagles = Eric Fisher OT Central Michigan
This is an interesting pick because it could go many ways. Fisher is the safe pick of course but if they sign Eric Winston then they would move on, Dee Milliner would make sense here considering the state of their secondary, and they are showing interest in Geno Smith so it's a crapshoot.
5. Detroit Lions = Dee Milliner CB Alabama
This is a definite position of need but so is defensive end so Ansah would make a lot of sense here as well.
6. Cleveland Browns = Dion Jordan OLB Oregon
Jordan is a better fit for Cleveland's scheme than Ansah and after the combine Jordan surpassed Jarvis Jones as the top OLB in the draft.
7. Arizona Cardinals = Chance Warmack OG Alabama
The Cardinals definitely need to add some beef to their line and Warmack brings the beef no doubt. They would probably prefer Fisher but it's almost impossible for him to drop below Detroit. Warmack is also a great value pick.
8. Buffalo Bills = Ezekiel Ansah DE BYU
Not only is Ansah the best player on the board but he fills a need replacing the recently retired Chris Kelsay. Ansah lining up on the other side of Mario Williams could help him return to his 2011 form.
9. New York Jets = Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia
Jarvis has been cleared of his stenosis prognosis that plagued him at the combine and forced his stock to drop so finding him here at #9 should make the Jets brass very happy as they need a serious pass rushing threat from the outside.
10. Tennessee Titans = Jonathan Cooper OG North Carolina
It's not often that you get two offensive guards in the top 10 of the draft but this is a special year and Cooper is a big-time player at his position. The Titans need some better run blocking to spring Chris Johnson and Cooper is quite adept at that just ask Giovani Bernard.
11. San Diego Chargers = Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma
Pretty much everybody and their mother have Johnson slotted to San Diego here and it makes sense because they definitely need to improve at the tackle position.
12. Miami Dolphins = Keenan Allen WR California
Free agency will definitely determine the direction they go here and as of now WR is their biggest need but that could change in a couple of days.
13. Tampa Bay Bucs = Tyler Eifert TE Notre Dame
It's looking like Dallas Clark won't be brought back thus leaving Luke Stocker as the only TE left of note on their depth chart. Eifert is being compared to Dallas Clark so it makes sense.
14. Carolina Panthers = Shelton Richardson DT Missouri
The Panthers have sorely needed improvement in the inside of their defensive line for the last couple of years and Richardson is the man for the job with Panthers star WR Steve Smith agreeing saying in a radio interview that he thinks he should be the pick.
15. New Orleans Saints = Barkevious Mingo OLB LSU
This pick makes sense on so many levels from him being a home favorite to being a pass rushing beast which the Saints desperately need. Easy pick.
16. St. Louis Rams = Kenny Vaccaro FS Texas
The Rams currently have openings at both safety positions and Vaccaro is the top ranked safety on the board so this fills a position of need and upsets the Dallas Cowboys who are reportedly very high on Vaccaro.
17. Pittsburgh Steelers = Damontre Moore OLB Texas A&M
The Steelers released James Harrison over the weekend and they definitely need to retool their aging linebacking corps so Moore who played DE at A&M but can transition to a 3-4 OLB.
18. Dallas Cowboys = Bjoern Werner DE Florida State
Dallas has moved to a 4-3 scheme with Monte Kiffin in as defensive coordinator and they need more 4-3 type players at the key positions and Werner is someone that they don't have to put in immediately as they have DeMarcus Ware & Anthony Spencer. Werner can learn while being a situational guy and when the time is right for Spencer to leave he could step right in.
19. New York Giants = D.J. Fluker OT Alabama
The Giants are always a tough team to project as they normally take best player available but they have needed extra help on the OL for years now and this one is no different.
20. Chicago Bears = Zach Ertz TE Stanford
Chicago has undervalued the TE position for years now and it's time for that to change as Jay Cutler could use another weapon to add to his arsenal.
21. Cincinnati Bengals = Manti Te'O MLB Notre Dame
Manti has had a tough last couple of months to say the least but the Bengals didn't really care about that at least at the combine as they talked about football in their interview mainly steering clear of his personal issues. The Bengals need some help in their linebacking corps especially in the middle and they have a Samoan pedigree in their locker room to help mentor him.
22. St. Louis Rams (through Washington) = Tavon Austin WR West Virginia
The Rams need a homerun scoring threat on offense and Austin is that in numbers as he has blazing speed plus he can lineup anywhere on the field. It's unlikely that Danny Amendola is coming back so Austin would be a perfect replacement for him.
23. Minnesota Vikings = Cordarrelle Patterson WR Tennessee
Speaking of teams that need wide receivers enter the Minnesota Vikings. Percy Harvin & Michael Jenkins are gone and they have virtually no real threat on the outside so they must add multiple guys to their depth chart.
24. Indianapolis Colts = Alec Ogletree ILB Georgia
Alec is a great talent who has some off-field issues but to the Colts they need an explosive playmaker which Alec fits the bill.
25. Minnesota Vikings (through Seattle) = Sylvester Williams DT North Carolina
The Harvin trade works out great for the Vikings here as Williams is a perfect fit for their defense in not just scheme but he is a DT with the last name of Williams.
26. Buffalo Bills (trading their 41st pick and 2nd round pick in 2014 to Green Bay) = Geno Smith QB West Virginia
Now is the time for the QB's to come off the board as the teams that need QB's will trade back up in the 1st round to get their guy. Geno is a guy that Buffalo could easily take at #8 but the value would be better to wait and move back up.
27. Houston Texans = Desmond Trufant CB Washington
Houston got torched numerous times last season and even though they won most of those games their corners were subpar most of the season.
28. Denver Broncos = Xavier Rhodes CB Florida State
Speaking of getting torched....the Broncos definitely could've used a player like Rhodes against the Baltimore Ravens.
29. Arizona Cardinals (trading their 38th pick and 2nd round pick in 2014 to New England) = Matt Barkley QB USC
And now the Cardinals make their move to get Barkley and while Cardinals fans probably don't want another USC QB this is a good value pick.
30. Atlanta Falcons = Sam Montgomery DE LSU
Montgomery gives you the combination of need and value but if the Falcons get a pass rusher in FA then you could see another position go here.
31. San Francisco 49ers = John Jenkins NT Georgia
The Niners need some more beef in the interior of their defensive line and Jenkins brings the beef in bunches.
32. Baltimore Ravens = De'Andre Hopkins WR Clemson
Anquan Boldin is now gone to San Francisco so the Ravens need another big play threat and Hopkins is the best receiver available.
33. Jacksonville Jaguars = Johnthan Banks CB Mississippi State
34. San Francisco 49ers (through Kansas City) = Matt Elam SS Florida
35. Philadelphia Eagles = Kawann Short DT Purdue
36. Detroit Lions = Tank Carradine DE Florida State
37. Cincinnati Bengals (through Oakland) = Eddie Lacy HB Alabama
38. New England Patriots (through Arizona) = Justin Hunter WR Tennessee
39. New York Jets = Ryan Nassib QB Syracuse
40. Tennessee Titans = Eric Reid FS LSU
41. Green Bay Packers (through Buffalo) = Johnathan Hankins DE Ohio State
42. Miami Dolphins = Justin Pugh OT Syracuse
43. Tampa Bay Bucs = Blidi Wreh-Wilson CB UConn
44. Carolina Panthers = Logan Ryan CB Rutgers
45. San Diego Chargers = Kevin Minter MLB LSU
46. St. Louis Rams = Dallas Thomas OT Tennessee
47. Dallas Cowboys = David Amerson DB NC State
48. Pittsburgh Steelers = Robert Woods WR USC
49. New York Giants = Arthur Brown MLB Kansas State
50. Chicago Bears = Khaseem Greene OLB Rutgers
51. Washington Redskins = Jordan Poyer CB Oregon State
52. Minnesota Vikings = Larry Warford OG Kentucky
53. Cincinnati Bengals = Datone Jones CB UCLA
54. Miami Dolphins (through Indianapolis) = Gavin Escobar TE San Diego State
55. Green Bay Packers = Montee Ball HB Wisconsin
56. Seattle Seahawks = Jesse Williams DT Alabama
57. Houston Texans = Terrance Williams WR Baylor
58. Philadelphia Eagles (trading their 67th & 129th picks to Denver) = E.J. Manuel QB Florida State
59. New England Patriots = Barrett Jones OL Alabama
60. Atlanta Falcons = Giovani Bernard HB North Carolina
61. San Francisco 49ers = Alex Okafor OLB Texas
62. Baltimore Ravens = Margus Hunt DE SMU