With the NFL Draft just a stone’s throw away, it’s time to talk draft day trades. Each year on draft day and sometimes even during the year, we hear about picks being traded. Often however, we tend to not follow up on who those picks turned out to be. We know that Julio Jones was traded for a Sam’s Club supply of draft picks, but now we can put faces to those picks for the most part.
In this segment, instead of taking a look back talking at the Chiefs trading picks with the Browns, I will replace the picks with the players’ names. Now that the players’ rookie seasons are done, this will shed some light on who may have come out with the better value, at least early on.
*Player names will take place of the picks that were actually traded. Realize that the player himself may never have been drafted by initial team. ex. Browns trade Julio Jones for Jonathan Baldwin etc. Baldwin was never drafted by Atlanta or Cleveland but the pick he was selected with was. His name takes place of pick #26.
First Round Trades
- Cleveland Browns traded Julio Jones to the Atlanta Falcons for Jonathan Baldwin, Greg Little, Owen Marecic, 2012 1st Round draft pick and a 2012 4th Round draft pick.
- Washington Redskins traded Blaine Gabbert to the Jacksonville Jaguars for Ryan Kerrigan and Ben Ijalana.
- New England Patriots traded Richard Seymour to the Oakland Raiders for Nate Solder.
- Cleveland Browns traded Jonathan Baldwin and Justin Houston to the Kansas City Chiefs for Phil Taylor.
- New Orleans Saints traded Shane Vereen and a 2012 1st Round pick to the New England Patriots for Mark Ingram.
Second Round Trades
- Carolina Panthers traded Ras-I Dowling to the New England Patriots for Armanti Edwards.
- Denver Broncos traded Colin Kaepernick to the San Francisco 49ers for Rahim Moore, Quinton Carter, and DJ Williams.
- Denver Broncos traded Brandon Marshall (2010) to the Miami Dolphins for Sergio Kindle (2010) and Orlando Franklin. (Kindle was packaged with Dennis Pitta and Ed Dickson for Tim Tebow in 2010)
- Washington Redskins traded Ben Ijalana to the Indianapolis Colts for Stephen Paea and TJ Yates.
- Washington Redskins traded Stephen Paea to the Chicago Bears for Daniel Thomas and Rashad Carmichael.
- Seattle Seahawks traded Mikel Leshoure, Douglas Hogue, and Johnny Culbreath to the Detroit Lions for John Moffitt, Kris Durham, Richard Sherman, and Lazarius Levingston.
- New England Patriots traded Brandon Harris to the Houston Texans for Stevan Ridley and Marcus Cannon.
- San Diego Chargers traded Antonio Cromartie (2010) to the New York Jets for Jonas Mouton.
- Washington Redskins traded Daniel Thomas to the Miami Dolphins for Leonard Hankerson, Dejon Gomes, and Maurice Hurt.
Third Round Trades
- Washington Redskins traded Martez Wilson to the New Orleans Saints for Jammal Brown (2010) and Niles Paul.
- New England Patriots traded Randy Moss and a 2012 7th round pick to the Minnesota Vikings for Ryan Mallett.
- San Francisco 49ers traded William Rackley to the Jacksonville Jaguars for Chris Culliver and Ronald Johnson.
- Philadelphia Eagles traded Jah Reid to the Baltimore Ravens for Curtis Marsh and Jason Kelce.
- San Diego Chargers traded Charlie Whitehurst to the Seattle Seahawks for Golden Tate (2010), Koa Misi (2010), and Shareece Wright.
- Oakland Raiders traded a 2012 second round pick and Malcolm Williams to the New England Patriots for Joseph Barksdale and Taiwan Jones.
Fourth Round Trades
- New England Patriots traded Laurence Maroney (2010) and Mike Mohamed to the Denver Broncos for KJ Wright.
- Seattle Seahawks traded Deion Branch to the New England Patriots for KJ Wright.
- Philadelphia Eagles traded Donovan McNabb (2010) to the Washington Redskins for Nate Allen (2010) and Luke Stocker.
- Philadelphia Eagles traded Luke Stocker to the Tampa Bay Bucs for Casey Matthews and a 2012 fourth round pick.
- Houston Texans traded Roy Helu and Aldrick Robinson to the Washington Redskins for Rashad Carmichael, Shiloh Keo, and TJ Yates.
- San Francisco 49ers traded Donald Butler (2010) to the San Diego Chargers for Navarro Bowman (2010), Anthony Dixon(2010), and Kendall Hunter. WOW!
- Jacksonville Jaguars traded Matt Tennant (2010) to the New Orleans Saints for Chris Prosinski.
- Buffalo Bills traded Marshawn Lynch to the Seattle Seahawks for Chris Hairston.
- Green Bay Packers traded Julius Thomas and Virgil Green to the Denver Broncos for DJ Williams and DJ Smith.
Fifth Round Trades
- Tampa Bay Bucs traded Syd’Quan Thompson (2010) and Jammie Kirlew (2010) to the Denver Broncos for Ricky Stanzi.
- Tampa Bay Bucs traded Ricky Stanzi to the Kansas City Chiefs for Alex Magee and Allen Bradford.
- St Louis Rams traded Jacquizz Rodgers to the Atlanta Falcons for Jermale Hines and Jonathan Nelson.
- Philadelphia Eagles traded Cam Thomas (2010) to the San Diego Chargers for Riley Cooper (2010) and Dion Lewis.
- Minnesota Vikings traded Sage Rosenfels (2010) and Darius Reynaud (2010) to the New York Giants for Jason Pinkston.
- Minnesota Vikings traded Jason Pinkston to the Cleveland Browns for Demarcus Love and Mistral Raymond.
- Philadelphia Eagles traded Jeremy Kerley and Scotty McKnight to the New York Jets for Julian Vandervelde and Markell Carter.
- Green Bay Packers traded Daniel Kilgore to the San Francisco 49ers for Charles Clay and Frank Kearse.
Sixth Round Trades
- Denver Broncos traded Peyton Hillis (2010), Demarcus Love and conditional 2012 pick to the Cleveland Browns for Brady Quinn (2010).
- Seattle Seahawks traded Lawrence Jackson (2010) to the Detroit Lions for Byron Maxwell.
- Green Bay Packers traded Charles Clay and Frank Kearse to the Miami Dolphins for Caleb Schlauderaff and Ryan Taylor.
- Baltimore Ravens traded Mark Clayton (2010) and Jabara Williams to the St Louis Rams for Tyrod Taylor.
- Philadelphia Eagles traded Reggie Brown (2010) to the Tampa Bay Bucs for David Carter.
- Philadelphia Eagles traded David Carter to the Arizona Cardinals for Reggie Wells.
- Detroit Lions traded Jamar Chaney (2010) to the Philadelphia Eagles for DJ Smith.
- Denver Broncos traded Alphonso Smith (2010) to the Detroit Lions for Dan Gronkowski and DJ Smith.
- San Francisco 49ers traded Kentwan Balmer (2010) to the Seattle Seahawks for Colin Jones.
- New England Patriots traded Brian Rolle to the Philadelphia Eagles for Markell Carter.
Seventh Round Trades
- New York Jets traded Kerry Rhodes (2010) to the Arizona Cardinals for Eric Norwood (2010) and Greg McElroy.
- Dallas Cowboys traded Patrick Crayton (2010) to the San Diego Chargers for Shaun Chapas.
- Washington Redskins traded Justin Tryon (2010) to the Indianapolis Colts for Markus White.
- Baltimore Ravens traded Antwan Barnes (2010) to the Philadelphia Eagles for Anthony Allen.
- Atlanta Falcons traded Quinn Ojinnaka (2010) to the New England Patriots for Cliff Matthews.
There are a ton of things that you can take away from this exercise. Mostly you will see how the teams that are good year after year manipulate the draft to stack talent and how they take advantage of the lesser front offices. Pay attention to how the Jaguars trades turned out. The NFL draft decides which teams will stay competitive continuously. If your front office can’t maneuver around during those three days, then your franchise won’t be more than a team that has a good season here and there. This way of looking at things is a much better way of gauging the end result of the trading activity then just moving into another draft and saying so and so really got a great deal giving up John Doe for a 3rd and a 4th.
- Listen to NFL Draft Cheat Sheet with NCAA Football & NFL Writer Dory LeBlanc along with NFL Scout Jayson Braddock each week leading up to the 2012 NFL Draft.
- More NFL Coverage
Jayson Braddock is an NFL Scout / NFL Writer & On-Air Personality. Jayson is also a football insider for the Dylan Gwinn show on 790 AM in Houston, TX - Listeners NOT in the Houston metropolitan area can hear Jayson on iheart radio or sports790.com. You can also catch Jayson on Sirius XM Fantasy Sports Radio with Scott Engel and the morning crew every Thursday at 10:30am ET. You may email Jayson directly @ [email protected] or follow him on Twitter @JaysonBraddock