The South Carolina Gamecocks enter week two of the college football season with a record of 1-0 and so does their week two opponent, East Carolina.
The Gamecocks beat ECU last year in Charlotte and will be looking to do the same in 2012. Before we talk alot around what it will take to beat the Pirates, let's tell you ten things about this team you need to know:
1. East Carolina is 2-11 under Coach McNeill when losing the turnover battle, with one such win in each of the last two years.
2. Last year, ECU allowed 30 sacks.
3. The Pirates return game is something to respect for South Carolina. In the first game, ECU had a 90-yard touchdown return by Lance Ray and a 43-yard punt return by Justin Hardy. Translation - the Gamecocks cannot get lazy on special teams.
4. ECU has a inexperienced secondary, which could mean opportunity for USC. The Pirates allowed 300 yards passing to an Appalachian State aerial attack that averaged just 234 yards per game in 2011.
5. Michael Dobson, at running back, had a game-high 19 carries for 78 yards on the ground and he had four passes for 35 yards with a long of 19. So USC must respect him and watch for a trick-play.
6. Rio Johnson, in his first career start at quarterback, completed 28-of-43 passes for 242 yards and two touchdown passes for ECU. The Gamecocks must be ready for the pass.
7. East Carolina has won 32 of their last 37 games when scoring 30 or more points.
8. The Pirates defense held the ASU Mountaineers to just 4 of 15 on third down conversions.
9. ECU's Jermey Grove finished with nine tackles and forced two fumbles. USC will have to gameplan for him.
10. The Gamecocks first met East Carolina in 1977.
Get more great South Carolina sports analysis over at Leftover Hot Dog.