Through 5 games, the Knicks are great. Undefeated, and the first team with double digit margins of victory in each of their first 5 games since the Native Americans invented basketball by throwing wolves’ heads into primitive crock pots that were also used for making popcorn, or popmaize, as they called it. (NOTE: According to Ian Begley, the Knicks are the actually the third team to do this, not the first – no word on whether he agrees about the wolves’ heads part though).
Anyway, the Knicks are doing something right, and here’s a list of things they’re doing better than anyone else in the NBA:
- Winning percentage (1.000 bitch!);
- Longest W streak (5 games, tie with Grizzlies and Thunder);
- Margin of victory (15.6) – the next closest are the Grizzlies (9.0);
- DefRtg – the Knicks allow the fewest points per 100 possessions (so close for OffRtg – 2nd);
- Assist/TO ratio – 16.5 (!)
- Turnover % – 11.6
- Opponents’ turnover % – 19.6%
- Opponents’ points off turnovers (raw and adjusted for pace) – 10.6
- Opponents’ fast break points (raw and adjusted for pace) – 10.2
- % of points off of three pointers – 34.8% (actually not really sure if this is good or bad…if the percentages remain high, it’s definitely good though)
- Opponents’ PPG (raw and adjusted for pace)
That’s a nice list. I also wanted to point out another cool stat. Much has been made of the Knicks pace – pretty slow – in fact 26th overall (93.36). But it appears that they don’t have to play that way. Indeed it seems that the Knicks have run up their big margins by playing very fast. When they have a nice lead they nurse it at the teet of slow paced, deliberate play:
When the score is:
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
- Tied, the Knicks are 21st in pace. (17 total minutes.)
- When the score margin is 1-5 the Knicks are 1st in pace. (77 total minutes.) (99.12)
- When the score margin is 6-10 the Knicks are 28th in pace. (59 total minutes.)
- When the score margin is 11-15 the Knicks are 23rd in pace. (47 total minutes.)
- When the score margin is 16-20 the Knicks are 26th in pace. (29 total minutes.)
- When the score margin is 20+ the Knicks are 28th in pace. (10 total minutes.)
Get more great New York Knicks analysis over at KnicksFan.