If you are like me, you can never get enough of surprising stats. Here are some from the 2013 season that might really surprise you:
- The Indians are 21st in ERA, but are 2nd in the MLB in shutouts with 12 (trailing only the Pirates).
- 57 pitchers have a better ERA than Justin Verlander, including 11 that currently have a losing record.
- Carlos Gomez, of the last place Brewers, leads all of baseball with a 5.8 WAR (wins above replacement).
- The Pirates’ rotation has the best ERA, but has only thrown the 26th most innings.
- After 12 HR in his first 94 AB’s, Justin Upton has just 4 HR in his last 260 AB’s.
- Tim Lincecum is ranked 583 out of 598 among all pitchers in WAR.
- Jeff Locke is now 2nd in ERA….go ahead, go look who he plays for.
- Despite all of the disappointment swirling Josh Hamilton, Albert Pujols only has 1 more extra base hit than Hamilton.
- Despite losing their top two set up men for the year, the Braves bullpen leads the MLB in ERA.
- Out of the top 25 starting pitchers in the WAR category, the Rockies have 3….I said 3!!
- The Cardinals are hitting .340 as a team with RISP…the next closest team is hitting .288.
Follow Cole Stevenson on twitter @Cole_Stevenson