When UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo got into a motorcycle accident about two weeks ago, the initial report was he had only suffered minor injuries, but would be alright to fight in his native Brazil at UFC 153. On Tuesday this week, it was revealed that Aldo had suffered a foot injury that would prevent him from facing Frankie Edgar on October 13th. Thursday afternoon, UFC President Dana White revealed to reporters that Jose Aldo vs Frankie Edgar will still happen, when depends on how quickly Aldo heals.
First, White expressed that he hopes Aldo has learned from the accident and will be more careful in the future. "It's probably a good idea not to ride motorcycles. Are they going to listen to me? Are they really not going to do it? Maybe Jose will now, now that he's been affected by it."
As it turns out, White explained what's keeping Aldo out is an infection on his injured foot. "When he wiped out, he got some road rash. He got back in the gym and he got a horrible infection in it. He's got a real bad infection in his foot." Dana even said that he's contemplating bringing Aldo out to Vegas to make sure that his foot is getting the proper care to avoid finding out later that it hasn't healed properly, or that there's other lingering side effects.
Dana then explained that there is no current time table for Aldo's return, but when he does it's on between Frankie and Jose. "Yea, Frankie stepped up and took that fight. Aldo, from what we're hearing, he won't be out that long," White said.
Dana remained optimistic that the UFC featherweight title fight happens this year. "I hope so, it depends on Aldo. We gotta find out where he's really at."
- Dana White "The #1 Contender Right Now Is Weidman"
- Dana White Hopes Jose Aldo Vs Frankie Edgar Can Still Happen This Year
- Stephan Bonnar Makes Light Of His Underdog Status
- Consistent Way Of Life Reason For Cole Konrad's MMA Retirement
- Alan Belcher-Yushin Okami Targeted For UFC 155
- Scott Coker Explains Larkin's Title Shot And Talks Last Heavyweight Fight
- Scott Coker Weighs In On Melendez-Thomson 4, Wants Rousey-Cyborg To Happen
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline