Renan Barao was asked a few weeks ago if he would wait for Dominick Cruz to heal up if he is successful in defeating Urijah Faber and becoming the interim UFC bantamweight champion. The two are set to meet this Saturday at UFC 149: Faber vs. Barao.
At the time, Barao said he would wait until "The Dominator" is healed before stepping back inside the Octagon. Well, it appears as if he has changed his tune a bit since that time.
"If I have to fight before Dominick recovers, I will fight," said Barao, in a recent interview with MMAjunkie.com. "I'm an employee of the UFC. I'm a fighter, and I will fight anyone. If I can wait for him, of course I would like to fight him. I see him as a top guy. I want to fight the best, but if I have to fight someone else while I wait for him, that's no problem at all."
This will be the first main event for Barao, who has not lost since his professional debut. He has won 28 fights, with one going to a no-contest.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Since joining the UFC out of the WEC in 2011, Barao has defeated Cole Escovedo and Scott Jorgensen via decision, and submitted Brad Pickett.
- Evan Dunham Vs. TJ Grant At UFC 152
- Bellator 72 Weigh-In Results: All Fighters Hit The Mark
- Ian McCall Headed To UFC On FOX 4 Vs. John Moraga
- November Still A Go For Georges St-Pierre's Return
- UFC Targets Cung Le Vs. Rich Franklin For China
- Cheick Kongo Doesn't Want To Be A "Gatekeeper" In UFC
- Brian Ebersole Offers Up His Tickets For UFC 149
- UFC Middleweight Division Full Of Contenders For Anderson Silva
- Video: UFC 149: Faber Vs. Barao Pre-Fight Press Conference
- UFC Makes Jose Aldo-Erik Koch Official For UFC 153
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.