Belfort, however, was unable to complete the submission, as Jones pulled out his arm and went on to secure a fourth round submission in the main event for the UFC light heavyweight title.
"When I heard his arm pop, I let go a little and that is where he escaped," said Belfort, during a post-fight interview on Fuel TV. "I made a mistake. He is a great fighter and I lost the opportunity."
Belfort mentioned a training injury leading into the fight, and a possible hand injury suffered during the bout, but didn't make any excuses, adding, "I did my best."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
- Chael Sonnen Says Jon Jones Is "Next"
- Dana White Calls Spike TV The Worst Channel
- Greg Jackson Was Concerned When Vitor Belfort Locked In The Armbar
- Vladimir Matyushenko Rips Matt Hamill - Roger Hollett Fight
- Cub Swanson Awaits José Aldo Rematch
- UFC Not Happy With How Bellator Handles Contracts
- Dana White Says Georges St-Pierre Is The Top UFC PPV Attraction, Talks Silva Vs. GSP
- Brian Stann Surprised By Decision Loss To Michael Bisping
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline