UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones was asked why he changed his mind in fighting Chael Sonnen during a media conference call on Wednesday. Jones and Sonnen will coach the next season of The Ultimate Fighter, and will face each other in April.
"(Accepting) this fight had nothing to do with finances," Jones said. "It had to do with getting over this chapter in my career."
Sonnen agreed to face Jones last month on short notice, but "Bones" declined the bout. That sent Sonnen into a constant verbal rampage vs. Jones.
"The UFC 151 cancellation was a tough moment in my career," Jones said. "Beating Chael Sonnen will help me (move on), then after that I am beating Dan Henderson. This will help me put closure to that whole situation."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Jones added that taking the fight - and TUF coaching position - will "put closure to the Chael Sonnen invasion of my career." Jones is also on the sidelines for an extended period due to a strained elbow suffered in his recent win over Vitor Belfort.
- Rashad Evans Discusses Chael Sonnen-Jon Jones Bout
- Kenny Florian: UFC Sending Message To "Step Up" By Giving Sonnen Fight
- Dana White Wants Cowboy Stadium As Soon As Fight Can Be Made
- Eddie Alvarez Opens Up About His Future
- MFC Promoter Mark Pavelich Has An Issue With Female MMA
- Jeremy Stephens Released From Jail, Issues Statement
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.