Jay Hieron (23-6) looks at the UFC's welterweight division and knows he has work to do if he ever wants to be champion. Before even thinking about a championship shot, Hieron has to worry about Erick Silva (14-3-1 NC).
"I think this is one of the toughest divisions in the UFC," said Hieron to TATAME. "You have no easy fights in this category and I know that facing Silva will not be easy."
The upcoming fight will be Hieron's third for the UFC. He has lost his previous two. The first was at UFC 48 against current champion Georges St-Pierre (23-2) and the other occurred in October to Jake Ellenberger (28-6). Before coming to the UFC, Hieron was the final IFL welterweight champion and found minor success in Bellator before losing in the tournament final.
The next challenge for the UFC welterweight championship is unclear. Dana White announced Johny Hendricks (14-1) has the No. 1 contender, but he isn't alone. Nick Diaz (26-8-1 NC) is looking for a championship shot when he returns from his suspension in early 2013 and middleweight champion Anderson Silva (33-4) continues to seek out a superfight.
Popular VideoThis judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:
Hieron vs. Silva will take place February 2 from Brazil at UFC 156.
- Lavar Johnson Injured, Out Of UFC On Fox 5 Fight With Brendan Schaub
- Bellator 82 Weigh-In Results: Welterweight Finals Made Official
- UFC "Road To The Octagon" Debuts This Sunday
- Ronaldo Souza-Lorenz Larkin Booked For Strikeforce: Champions
- Frank Shamrock: Bas Rutten Put Me On The Map
- Next ONE FC Event Announced
- Heather Clark Ready For The Big Leagues
- Chris Weidman Updates Status Post-Surgery
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.