Now, the two rivals will have to settle for the co-main event, as Silva vs. Sonnen is for the middleweight belt, superseding Cruz and Faber in the pecking order. Speaking with MMAJunkie following the latest episode of The Ultimate Fighter: Live, Faber explained that he's happy to share the spotlight with the sport's most high profile 185-pounders.
"No, I'm actually stoked about it," said Faber. "I'm super-excited about that Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen fight. And to be able to relax and watch that fight right after my victory that night, with a new belt around my waist, it's going to be awesome."
Faber will take on Cruz for his bantamweight title at the event, which is scheduled for July 7 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Silva and Sonnen were expected to do battle at a soccer stadium in Brazil, but had their match moved as it conflicted with the Rio+20 United Nations conference on sustainable development.
- Video: Dana White's UFC On FOX 3 Vlog, Episode Two
- Jon Jones Just Wants Hendo To Keep It Classy
- Video: Quick UFC 146 Promo
- Francisco Rivera Steps In To Face Alex Soto At UFC On FUEL TV 3
- Nevada Responds To Nick Diaz's Lawsuit
- Video: Age And Experience Will Overcome Youth And Preparation
- UFC 148 Tickets On Sale This Week
- Rampage Jackson Wants Rua Or Griffin For Final UFC Bout
- Jake Shields Vs. Ed Herman To Take Place At "UFC 150"
- Video: Dana White Blog Is Back For "UFC On FOX 3"
- Travis Browne, Ben Rothwell Added To "UFC On FOX 4" Card
- Ryan Bader Vs. Lyoto Machida Set For "UFC On FOX 4"
- Episode 8 Of "TUF: Live" Earns Lowest Ratings Yet
- Michael Bisping Vs. Tim Boetsch Removed From UFC 148
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.