Even with news that the current UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz (19-1) will require a second surgery on his ACL, that doesn't mean the division will crumble. UFC president Dana White spoke about how the division is full of names ready to step up and fight.
"It's awesome , it's great," said White at UFC 155. "Nobody's had more bad luck than [Cruz] has. But we've got guys who can keep the division cracking and keep it exciting until we can settle that."
Renan Barão (29-1-1 NC) became the interim champion after he defeated Cruz's original opponent Urijah Faber (26-6) at UFC 149. Barão had hoped to wait until Cruz returned to unify the titles, but that changed once it was clear that Cruz could be out another year. He last competed in October 2011 where he defended the newly promoted UFC bantamweight title for a second time.
Barão is set to defend is interim championship against Michael McDonald (15-1) at UFC on FUEL TV 7. The card airs on February 16 out of England.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
- Bellator Counters UFC’s Contract For Eddie Alvarez
- Jason Lambert And Hector Ramirez Added To Bellator 85
- Pat Healy’s Strikeforce Opponent Finally Revealed
- Paige VanZant Couldn’t Resist Invicta FC’s Offer
- UFC Hall Of Famer Dan Severn Retires
- Lucas Martins Tabbed To Face Edson Barboza At UFC On FX 7
- Bellator And Paul Daley Reach An Agreement
- Bobby Voelker Excited To Make UFC Debut Vs. Patrick Cote
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.