UFC 151 Cancellation Fallout: Dana White Regrets Nothing

| by

UFC president Dana White was as outspoken as ever when he made the call confirming UFC 151 was being cancelled late last month. During an interview with UFC Tonight on Tuesday, White reflected on that moment.

"One of the things that I like is our consistency. We've never cancelled an event," White said. "People don't realize the collateral damage that goes on and how many people are depending on these events. Not just the fighters and the UFC, so many other people who work for, or are invested in these shows, and this is the first time we've ever cancelled one. That's a little emotional."

The decision was made after UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones declined a main event bout with Chael Sonnen. Jones was scheduled to face Dan Henderson, but a knee injury knocked Henderson out of the fight.

"Dan Henderson knew two weeks before the fight. Two weeks before he told me he was injured," White said. "If he had given me those two weeks - like he should have - this fight might have happened."

White added that he has "no regrets whatsoever" in deciding to scrap the entire card. All of the fights planned for September 1 have found new homes, including Jones. He will face Vitor Belfort on September 22 at UFC 152: Jones vs. Belfort.

"I've got no animosity towards Jones," White said. "We'll find out how our relationship is as we move on. This thing is a little weird; it's never happened before."

Related Content

Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline