Tyrone Spong's first kickboxing match since his MMA debut has been pushed to March 23. The GLORY show was originally set for February, but the promotion wanted to give Remy Bonjasky a full training camp. The extension was granted because Bonjasky is still fighting on the upcoming DREAM and GLORY cross promotion show on New Year's Eve.
"Remy was more than happy to take part in the tournament and then fight again in February," said Pierre Andurand, GLORY chairman. "But this is the first time that he and Spong will have fought, and there was such huge interest in the match when we announced it that we decided to move the date and give him some time to rest up. It means that he and Spong will be in peak condition when they face each other."
As a kickboxer, Spong has won four straight. Bonjasky owns three K-1 Grand Prix titles and is returning after a three year hiatus due to an eye injury.
At the start of the month, Spong won in his MMA debut for the World Series of Fighting in the first round. His next MMA fight has not been announced.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
The two will meet at GLORY 5 from the ExCeL Exhibition Centre in London. A full fight card is expected in the coming weeks. No TV information was released.
- Alistair Overeem-Antonio Silva Official For UFC 156
- Fuel TV To Present "Training Day: The Blackzilians" On Wednesday
- Former WEC Announcer Joe Martinez To Handle UFC On FX 6 Duties
- New Bellator Rule Introduced For Championship Fights
- Two Championships To Be Decided At BAMMA 11
- Luke Rockhold Confirms Hand Injury, Shoots On Lorenz Larkin
- WSOF Pays Pulled Fighter Fabio Mello
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.