Tito Ortiz and Forrest Griffin will settle the score this summer, as the two former UFC light heavyweight champions meet at UFC 148. Ortiz posted about the fight on his Twitter account late Monday evening.
"July 7th Vegas MGM UFC 148 its on!!!!," Ortiz wrote.
Both Ortiz and Griffin have discussed fighting for a third time for several months now, and even UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta mentioned that the bout was likely to be signed earlier this year.
Ortiz is coming off a loss to Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. Back at UFC 59, Ortiz earned a split decision over Griffin. However, at UFC 106 in late 2009, Griffin earned a decision victory of his own.
UFC 148 already has a bantamweight title match between champion Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber planned as the main event, along with bouts between Rich Franklin and Cung Le, and Michael Bisping and Tim Boetsch.
For Ortiz, this is likely to serve as his retirement fight, as he pushed UFC president Dana White for one final opportunity after the loss to Nogueira late in 2011. This bout would also serve as the final fight on his current UFC contract.
UPDATE: UFC officials have confirmed that Ortiz-Griffin III will take place at UFC 148.
- Tom Watson Talks Title-fight At BAMMA 9, Possible Shot In Strikeforce
- "UFC On FX" Fight Roundup: Roberts-Magalhaes, Camozzi-Catone, Pague-Papazian
- Ken Shamrock Defends Himself Against Dana White
- The Pros Give Their Take On Jones Vs. Evans
- Justin Lawrence Talks Upcoming "TUF: Live" Fight
- Video Buffet: "Dragon Eyes" Preview, Inside D. Cruz's Training Camp, MMA In NY
- Josh Barnett Breaks Down Dos Santos Vs. Overeem
- Ronda Rousey Keeping Company With MMA's Most Notorious
- King Mo's Manager Takes Umbrage At Rampage's Recent Complaints
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.