Brendan Schaub might not have had the best luck at UFC 145, but at least he has Tim Tebow on his side. The newly acquired Jets quarterback gave plenty of support to Schaub despite his KO defeat to Ben Rothwell last weekend.
After one week of Twitter silence, Tebow had the following to say to his 1.5 million followers leading up to Schaub's fight:
"@BrendanSchaub I'm so proud of you brother...all of your hard work will pay off tonight. #FinishStrong."
Tebow's affiliation with anything UFC may come as a surprise to many given his Christian faith and "wholesome" reputation. Yet, his connection with Schaub likely stems from "The Hybrid's" football background as he played at the University of Colorado before joining the Buffalo Bills practice squad. Nevertheless, it is only appropriate to add Tebow to the list of celebrity UFC fans that includes Rihanna, Justin Bieber and most recently, T.I.
Even with Tebow's support, Schaub followed a defeat to "Big Nog" at UFC 134 with another in Atlanta. A disappointed Schaub apologized to his fans on Twitter following the bout, but received some kind words from the former Bronco.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"I'm speechless..I'm so sorry to my fans, I have some things I gotta get figured out," said Schaub on the social network. "I work too hard to feel like this."
To which Tebow responded, "@BrendanSchaub life is not about when you get knocked down but about having the perseverance to get back up. Proud of you brother #Heart."
Schaub will need to take Tebow's words to heart. As one of the most athletic competitors in the division, he will need to rebound if he wants to be considered a top ten heavyweight.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
- Video: Age And Will Overcome Youth And Preparation
- UFC 148 Tickets On Sale This Week
- "Rampage" Jackson Wants Rua, Griffin For Final UFC Bout
- Jake Shields Vs. Ed Herman To Take Place At "UFC 150"
- Video: Dana White Blog Is Back For "UFC On FOX 3"
- Travis Browne, Ben Rothwell Added To "UFC On FOX 4" Card
- Ryan Bader Vs. Lyoto Machida Set For "UFC On FOX 4"
- Episode 8 Of "TUF: Live" Earns Lowest Ratings Yet
- Michael Bisping Vs. Tim Boetsch Removed From UFC 148
- Jon Jones Vs. Dan Henderson Unlikely To Take Place At UFC 149
- Georges St-Pierre Talks Being Bullied As A Kid
- Faber Happy To Share Spotlight With Silva And Sonnen
- UFC 149 Likely To Host Mauricio "Shogun" Rua Vs. Thiago Silva
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.