Cesar Gracie's student Nate Diaz (16-8) may have come up short when he fought Benson Henderson (18-2), but that just leaves the door open for somebody else to take a swing. In Gracie's mind, that somebody else comes in may be Gilbert Melendez (21-2).
"I think that's the fight they should make," said Gracie to MMA Fighting.
"Gilbert's the champ over there, he's been in Strikeforce forever, and that would be a great fight," said Gracie. "He's beaten tough guys. I'll tell you that would be a scrap. He's kind of like a Ben Henderson with that scrappy, fighter style. I think it would be a really good fight."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Henderson is coming off a decision win over Diaz from UFC on FOX 5. The win kept him undefeated in the UFC with five wins and two title defenses. Melendez is a two-time Strikeforce champion who holds the promotion's record for most title defenses.
Melendez is currently out of action after suffering an injury in late September.
- Dustin Poirier Fueled By Loss, Looks To Bounce Back At TUF 16 Finale
- UFC Officially Announces March Return To Japan
- Video: Preview For "UFC 155: Dos Santos Vs. Velasquez II"
- Siyar Bahadurzada Calls Out Rory MacDonald
- Diego Sanchez Confirms Move Back To Lightweight, Says Next Fight To Be Announced Soon
- Roger Gracie Still In The Planning Stages Of Training
- Raphael Assuncao Fought Through Broken Arm At UFC On Fox 5
- Anderson Silva Requests 10-Fight UFC Contract
- Roy Nelson: Matt Mitrione Made Fight Personal By Requesting It
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.